Computers that DON’T revert to air setting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

50% O2 Off avoids that, surprised you would not have known about it. Again, read the manual, you'll be surprised what you will learn
Have the manual. Know about it. Sucks when you encounter it. Stupid 1-button computer. Not all Oceanics can be done that way. As long as you are on air, it will stay air. Bump it into Nitrox, don't let it time out before starting the dive or it will be useless. Even diving air, setting to 21%, it sees you were in the Nitrox menu it goes into the stupid "safe" settings for a day. I really should unload it someday.

Seac Action will keep mix between dives, and less than $400 USD. It also displays the mix right on the dive screen so you can quickly double check it.

Honestly I hadn't even considered that a DC would reset mix between dives, but I suppose the average diver is more likely to exceed their NDL than the MOD when using less than 40%.

the Peregrine.... Shearwaters stay at whatever gas you set them to most recently. Any tech diver who says they have never gotten in on a dive and about 4-5 minutes in seen their Shearwater yelling at them for high ppO2 since they forgot to change it back is probably lying....

Not that has never happened, more than twice... in the same day.

Have the manual. Know about it. Sucks when you encounter it. Stupid 1-button computer. Not all Oceanics can be done that way. As long as you are on air, it will stay air. Bump it into Nitrox, don't let it time out before starting the dive or it will be useless. Even diving air, setting to 21%, it sees you were in the Nitrox menu it goes into the stupid "safe" settings for a day. I really should unload it someday.
Operator error

Operator error
My response to this statement is more generic than specific to this thread.

I really don't like the phrase "operator error" as a dismissal of cases like this. Sure, there are all kinds of bonehead operator errors, but in many cases, operator errors happen all too often because of a system design that is not optimal. I am sure everyone can cite the case of the airplane switches, where a flood of pilot errors were eliminated by changing the switch positions. If experienced divers are making frequent operator errors, then I would argue something is wrong with the design.

My response to this statement is more generic than specific to this thread.

I really don't like the phrase "operator error" as a dismissal of cases like this. Sure, there are all kinds of bonehead operator errors, but in many cases, operator errors happen all too often because of a system design that is not optimal. I am sure everyone can cite the case of the airplane switches, where a flood of pilot errors were eliminated by changing the switch positions. If experienced divers are making frequent operator errors, then I would argue something is wrong with the design.
If the information is readily available to prevent the error, one should not complain when one makes the error.

My old Cressi AII does not. It stays on air by default, but if I dive Nitrox I have to set O2 percent for my next dive. If I forget the comp will beep endlessly underwater.

the Peregrine.... Shearwaters stay at whatever gas you set them to most recently. Any tech diver who says they have never gotten in on a dive and about 4-5 minutes in seen their Shearwater yelling at them for high ppO2 since they forgot to change it back is probably lying....
Who would do such a thing? These are all lies.

Oceanic told me their computers revert to 21 percent oxygen from the gas mix setting you had it at , within an hour of surfacing or making the change. There’s no way to turn that off. Do any brands or models not do that? I know safety reasons.
All my Oceanic computers keep the O2 setting for 24 hours after surfacing. Within that 24 hours you can make changes to the setting and it will stay until 24 hours unless you dive again and then you get another 24 hours after surfacing.

If your surface interval is more than 24 hours, then changes to O2 will reset after an hour.

I also use a one button Oceanic as back up to my aging Uwatec Aladin which does not reset unless I changed it.
50% O2 off and I make sure everything is "adjusted" on the diving day not the night before.
I really do not see the logical reason to default to the original manufacturer's setting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom