Computers and backups - looking for pearls of wisdom from the more experienced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SAFT LS14500 Lithium. That is all I ever use, Petrel, Perdix and HUD.

SAFT was my guess. I stopped using them due to their propensity to do just what you described: fail very quickly. The Perdix manual does not recommend them; better to use an Energizer Lithium with about half the life of the SAFT, but less than half the price, and does not suddenly die on you.

SAFT was my guess. I stopped using them due to their propensity to do just what you described: fail very quickly. The Perdix manual does not recommend them; better to use an Energizer Lithium with about half the life of the SAFT, but less than half the price, and does not suddenly die on you.

I use Eveready rechargeable batteries. Comes in a twin pack with charger. Never had an issue with them I do around 25 dives then replace the battery or if I get to the yellow zone.

Depends on the battery type. For batteries with a fairly flat discharge curve, actual capacity is tough for the Perdix to track. With those batteries, it just uses the green, yellow, red indicators.

With other battery types, it’s a lot more granular. I use the rechargeable Li-ions in my Perdix, and i tracks status with a battery icon graph. As battery is used, the full portion of the battery icon slowly ticks down. At a glance, I can see exactly how close to empty it is.
It's really better to just track them conservatively in run time on the battery. Shearwater rates them at 33-40 hours of operation on the battery. If you replace it at around 20 you'll never have an issue.

Lithium and Li-Ion and Nimh rechargeables all have relatively flat discharge curves. They deliver fantastic consistent performance and then fall off a cliff.

I personally prefer the eneloop rechargeables. I use them on almost everything and have basically stopped buying alkaline batteries. I have some Harbor Freight and Amazon Basics versions and there is a difference. I rarely see a "null" reading on a Eneloop battery. I see it enough on the Amazon basics and Harbor Freight ones that I won't use those in critical applications like a DC. They are fine on soap dispensers and remote controls.

It's really better to just track them conservatively in run time on the battery. Shearwater rates them at 33-40 hours of operation on the battery. If you replace it at around 20 you'll never have an issue.

Lithium and Li-Ion and Nimh rechargeables all have relatively flat discharge curves. They deliver fantastic consistent performance and then fall off a cliff.

I personally prefer the eneloop rechargeables. I use them on almost everything and have basically stopped buying alkaline batteries. I have some Harbor Freight and Amazon Basics versions and there is a difference. I rarely see a "null" reading on a Eneloop battery. I see it enough on the Amazon basics and Harbor Freight ones that I won't use those in critical applications like a DC. They are fine on soap dispensers and remote controls.
Even better is not using rechargeables. No cliff falloff that way. It is not like you use very many...

Today it was green, all segments, then yellow with one segment between dives and then green again after the dive. It has forgotten when it was last changed too.

Is a built in rechargeable so bad?

Today it was green, all segments, then yellow with one segment between dives and then green again after the dive. It has forgotten when it was last changed too.

Judging from all those Terics Craig and others had to return for battery faults, they can be.

Judging from all those Terics Craig and others had to return for battery faults, they can be.

If you’re on the boat with a flat battery, then yes.

It’s pretty easy to find an AA battery and switch it over, even on a boat.

You need to try a different battery type. I use the rechargeable lithium. 3.7v 14500s. The Perdix can more accurately read the remaining capacity on these. The “Fuel Gauge” feature will work with these. So you will get a more real time picture of battery capacity instead of just the 3 levels.

Plus, if you use 18650s, there’s a good chance that the same charger can be used.

Plus, again, there are a lot of counterfeit SAFTs in the market. There is a good chance that that is the issue you are currently dealing with.

You need to try a different battery type. I use the rechargeable lithium. 3.7v 14500s. The Perdix can more accurately read the remaining capacity on these. The “Fuel Gauge” feature will work with these. So you will get a more real time picture of battery capacity instead of just the 3 levels.

Plus, if you use 18650s, there’s a good chance that the same charger can be used.

Plus, again, there are a lot of counterfeit SAFTs in the market. There is a good chance that that is the issue you are currently dealing with.
My batteries come from a place I can rely on to be buying the real thing, not some no name eBay or Amazon reseller.

The dive was over an hour in 6C water. I can only guess at the draw of a Perdix but this page is vaguely interesting. https://www.saftbatteries.com/energizing-iot/impact-temperature-your-iot-application’s-power-consumption/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom