Computers and backups - looking for pearls of wisdom from the more experienced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would someone wait until the battery is almost dead on important equipment to deal with it?
That reminded me of a dive I did with an OC diver with a Shearwater. We dived a wreck to 50m and I was on CCR and he was on OC with a couple of deco bottles (50% and O2).

On the ascent his Shearwater turned off (he later admitted the battery was showing low at the surface!) and his 'backup' was a Suunto Vyper in gauge mode in his drysuit pocket o_O. I knew something was amiss when he was struggling to get the Vyper from his pocket so I helped him extract it and watched (and laughed) whilst he did an undefined amount of oxygen deco long after I'd cleared my stops.

Initially he admitted he should have changed the battery but later became defensive and when I referred to not diving with unsafe divers, and not listening to unsafe divers, he got quite upset :eek: We've not spoken since.

$350 for a Vyper another $400 ish for a transmitter. Then have a Peregrine and you get everything you need for the price of one Perdix and transmitter.

Not bad considering the nearest competitor comes without replaceable battery, compass, nor WAI, for the same money.

I'm not planning on going past my No Decompression Limits for now; but if I was, I think the Shearwater Pretzel would be my first choice.

Not bad considering the nearest competitor comes without replaceable battery, compass, nor WAI, for the same money.
What's the depth rating for the Suunto? In OW training we used a console, which I didn't pay to much attention and just let it hang.

What's the depth rating for the Suunto? In OW training we used a console, which I didn't pay to much attention and just let it hang.

How many hundreds of meters depth do you intend to dive? What is your own depth rating?

How many hundreds of meters depth do you intend to dive? What is your own depth rating?

Which part of "I didn't pay much attention and just let it hang" escapes you?

I think the Suunto EON Core was $1164. A new Perdix AI goes for $1350-1399. $250 just doesn't seem like much in this hobby.
I got mine Eon Core for US$645+$250 for the Tank Pod. That’s also the price online in SG when I last checked. Hope that explains (at least partly) why I didn’t get a Perdix AI for >$1200 when I already have a PPS transmitter. A savings of US$400 .
Edit: Corrected price currency conversion with 18% tax rate

I'm not planning on going past my No Decompression Limits for now; but if I was, I think the Shearwater Pretzel would be my first choice.

Yeah seen divers say that then complain their DC locked them out after they ignored their DC at 30m and went past NDL and missed their deco stop as they didnt understand what their DC was telling them.. oops People don't plan for it but still do it.

The Perdix has green, yellow and red battery indicators. When it failed on me it had been green the day before, was yellow on the RIB and dead twenty minutes into the dive. I always change when it goes yellow but not on a small boat.
Depends on the battery type. For batteries with a fairly flat discharge curve, actual capacity is tough for the Perdix to track. With those batteries, it just uses the green, yellow, red indicators.

With other battery types, it’s a lot more granular. I use the rechargeable Li-ions in my Perdix, and i tracks status with a battery icon graph. As battery is used, the full portion of the battery icon slowly ticks down. At a glance, I can see exactly how close to empty it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom