Computer Upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i am Intro. Cave, and still use my Aeris Atmos II (which i love)

next for me is Apprentice Cave and Advanced Nitrox, so i hope to start
doing some decompression dives relatively soon, followed by trimix
(eventually)

so i am looking for a relatively cheap, no-frills computer than can
handle deco and trimix (as well as nitrox and air)

i know nothing about deco computers, so i'm basically starting my research now

and thank you in advance

Sunnto D3 and do the deco yourself

H2Andy:
so i am looking for a relatively cheap, no-frills computer than can
handle deco and trimix (as well as nitrox and air)
Hey Andy, I don't think those words in bold are allowed in the same sentence. eyebrow

Hi Andy
I have an Atmos Pro (previous version of the AtmosII I believe). I use is as a backup on mild deco dives. Basic plan is to follow tables,but the computer will often clear(into the green) before the table deco is complete,due to all the dive not being at the maximum depth.

If I am using a stage of 50 or 100% ,and have been breathing it for at least 10 minutes then I will consider deco to be over when the computer is half way down the amber (no promises,but I have not been bent yet!)

I have considered getting a DiveRite Duo but am put off by reports of poor reliability,the fact that the run time is not displayed when in deco and the antiquated algorithm.

Have also considered a VR3 or an HS Explorer,but very strongly put off by the price............

So,mild deco,fudge your computer,more significant deco,tables and bottom timer.

I've done Cavern and after a few more practice/cavern dives I plan on going for Intro in the spring(no pun intended,lol) I'm using a cobra now, but thinking of selling it and saving up for a Nitek HE or Delta VR3. From what I've seen, these are the two computers used most by cave divers. I'm still researching the two...I like the VR3 because among other things, Ive heard that you can download ebooks on it for those long deco hangs...and I like the HE cuz it's made in the States. Delta is a U.K. company. Let me know what you finally decide on, I'm sure it will influence my choice too.

As Jason said cheap and trimix do not go hand in hand for putters. I have used all three of the mix putters He, Explorer & VR3. IMHO the VR3 wins hands down. There are many threads on these units and if you do a little research you can learn all you want to know. For cave mix diving though the VR3 will work out the best.

Bobby

fred, man.... good to see you again

i thought you were dead or in Zephyrhills

Not dead but some days I wonder, just trying to keep up with the business. Works been a killer latety.
My days have been EAT, WORK, With a little sleep now and then.
Must get together again soon. Did get in the water a few weeks ago, went into the cave at paradise with Rick, I found a line leading down into it but the end wasn't tied off so Me and Rick went into check it out, found a nice SS finger spool at the end so we did a seach but we didn't find a body anywhere.

H2Andy,

I see more Dive Rite NiTek He's on eBay than any other trimix computer, although VR3's and sometimes VR2's show up there.

We don't dive trimix (yet - and aren't in any hurry). Our NiTek3's have been relegated to redundant backup status for us, but we've been pleased with them other than Dive Rite's issues with NiTek Logic software - but most folks who have NiTek He's report v3.25 seems to be working fine.

Congrats on your accomplishments, and best of luck on your continued endeavors!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom