Computer recommendations for New Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I tend to agree with this for most things (durable goods), electronics is not one of them. Who knows what is going to be available or desirable in 3-5 years.

I strongly doubt they'll have a ground-breaking insight into DCS that will change the way we dive and make it into consumer-level dive computers in the next 3-5 years. They might develop a usable HUD or bring back ultrasonic AI/buddy pingers, but I don't see the core algorithms changing. There's these guys with miniaturized doppler ultrasound sensor, but I wouldn't hold my breath on them.

I strongly doubt they'll have a ground-breaking insight into DCS that will change the way we dive and make it into consumer-level dive computers in the next 3-5 years. They might develop a usable HUD or bring back ultrasonic AI/buddy pingers, but I don't see the core algorithms changing. There's these guys with miniaturized doppler ultrasound sensor, but I wouldn't hold my breath on them.

I agree, and meant more the "add ins" that folks wish for (like my past, where an electronic compass, and AI became "mainstream"). Who knows, maybe GPS makes it to a "must have".

As to actual DECO medels, who predicted the fall from grace of deep stops? My Tech class required VPM....

IDK...

As to actual DECO medels, who predicted the fall from grace of deep stops?

Uhmm... It's 20-20 hindsight of course, but when you dig through the theory you realize that one kind of those models is built on empirical data whereas the other one isn't. So in the instances where the two diverge significantly, which one would you believe?

Uhmm... It's 20-20 hindsight of course, but when you dig through the theory you realize that one kind of those models is built on empirical data whereas the other one isn't. So in the instances where the two diverge significantly, which one would you believe?

Not going there today.....

Ignore everything on here. Go look at computers. LOOK at them. If, looking at them, you can tell what they're saying, then consider getting one of them. If, looking at them, you have to try to figure out what they're saying, don't get one of those. There's no excuse anymore for a computer not to be almost idiotproofly clear on its display, regarding what the display is telling you.

I'm in this crowd. I had 2 suunto computers both were in the faulty sensor list. One was prone to transmitter explosions. The main thing was both were bought new from authorized US dealers and i find out about the safety issues here on scubaboard. It then took 2 months for the recall work. Never again will I buy or recommend a suunto.

I have been diving a Suunto Cobra 1 for about 20 years and it has never given me a second of trouble. If this one ever dies and if they still made the Cobra 1, I would buy another one. No depth sensor or battery issues unlike the current favourite brand on here.

Unless you know what your are doing, I would hesitate to go with Cressi. This is the most consistently conservative dive algorithm I am aware of. If that fits your style of diving, it would be fine.

And being conservative (in all but politics) is bad because? I hear what you're saying and the Leonardo will tell you that your NDL at 18m/60ft is 52 minutes as opposed the 54, and they'll typically be the ones that highlight low NDL on the deeper wrecks too. But if you're a new diver and you follow the conservative dive computer are you not infact lowering your risk (aka a good thing)?

We bought a batch of the 3 major puck style computers for the shop (teaching and rental) a few years back. Equal numbers of Leo's, Zoops and Mares Pucks. The Zoops were all busted within a year, and half the Pucks had died shortly after. However all the way through it the computers the instructors chose first for their students were almost always the Leo's (until someone left a pink/white Gallileo - that was popular for a while). We've now switched over to all Leo's as they're reliable, dependable, tough and..... safe.

Even if the damned thing beeps at me when I go to scratch my arse!

But if you're a new diver and you follow the conservative dive computer are you not infact lowering your risk (aka a good thing)?

It's questionable: you could argue that DSAT's level of "liberal" is proven to be safe enough, and any DCS hit at DSAT's level of "liberalism" would already be classified as "undeserved". It would be attributed to PFO or bad hangover or some other thing that is not accounted for by the computer. So the question is, if it's not accounted for in the first place, will any additional conservatism compensate for it enough? Or at all? And if the condition does not exist in a particular diver, does added conservatism make any practical difference to that diver's risk?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom