Computer recommendations for New Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WDiver78

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking to invest in my very first dive computer. Am planning to go into tech diving one day but that will not happen for at least 2-3 years. However, I have had my eyes on the Suunto D5 as my first dive computer for a while now albeit I have seen mixed reviews about the D5. Cost-wise it isn’t too bad although some may argue that there are better entry-level computers at a lower price. I’m looking for a computer that can incorporate nitrox as well.

Would really appreciate some recommendations and opinions of fellow divers that have more experience than me in this matter. Thanks!

Who knows what is going to be available in 2-5 years. I wouldn't suggest necessarily buying now for then unless you really feel you want to. For now, something like the Deep6 Excursion (or CREST since you are in an overseas market) might make for a useful computer, and be a reasonable cost... I'd likely say you want something running Buhlmann (and not proprietary tweaks) would also be a wise choice. Might be able to put it as a back-up to a future compute if you do go tech...

YMMV

Who knows what is going to be available in 2-5 years.

Yes that is very true. I will have a further look at the Deep6 and Crest. I am not particularly familiar with the computer softwares though. But I’m curious about your opinion on the Suunto D5 because I am leaning towards getting it but the mixed reviews I’ve read have made me hesitant.

FWIW the D5 is a decent computer by all accounts, and looks good on the wrist. For recreational diving you'll probably enjoy diving with it. Suunto have taken a bashing in recent years for poor quality control and really poor warranty handling, particularly with pressure sensors - so there are a lot of people who got burned by that and would never buy Suunto again. Apparently its "fixed" now though. I had a diver with me a few months ago sporting one and it did everything he wanted it to do in a fairly nice package. Battery life was shocking though (compared to other similar computers), so be prepared to have to stick it on charge every day or every other day at least.

A lot of the more technical divers do not like Suunto dive computers as they use a proprietary algorithm (RGBM), which throws up some "spurious results", shall we say, when you're planning some deco dives, so most would suggest a computer that uses the Buhlmann model with gradient factor adjustments.

If you're looking for someone to tell you right now that a D5 is a great computer and you should go for it.... you might be waiting a long time. So it'll come down to a personal choice. There are 4 computers in this space at the moment (colour watch style), and along with the Teric, they the only ones that support AI. The Ratio iDive, Teric and Garmin Descent all use the Buhlmann model, and people here are more likely to recommend any one of those first.

I am looking to invest in my very first dive computer. Am planning to go into tech diving one day but that will not happen for at least 2-3 years. However, I have had my eyes on the Suunto D5 as my first dive computer for a while now albeit I have seen mixed reviews about the D5. Cost-wise it isn’t too bad although some may argue that there are better entry-level computers at a lower price. I’m looking for a computer that can incorporate nitrox as well.

Would really appreciate some recommendations and opinions of fellow divers that have more experience than me in this matter. Thanks!
You didn't say whether you were looking at AI or not. The D5 is relatively expensive, the transmitter is quite expensive.

If you do not need AI, you have many choices other than the D5. The D5 runs Suunto Fused RGBM2, I'm sure you could set it so that it's conservative to liberal setting is to your liking, but why go to the trouble? I would also look at the Atmos Mission One, another good Taiwanese computer in addition to the Crest CR-4/Genesis Centauri/Deep 6 Excursion. For a little more money, it offers color screen, NDL planner, working app, and custom GFs in addition to presets.

TBH If you're looking for a first dive computer, I'd recommend the Cressi Leonardo for $200. It'll do everything a recreational diver wants to do, and if you decide to bin it in 3 years time its no great shakes. If you really want a watch style one, the Cressi Newton is also a great, reliable, simple product. Doesn't look as bling as the D5, but for D5 money... I'd go with the Garmin Descent.

TBH If you're looking for a first dive computer, I'd recommend the Cressi Leonardo for $200. It'll do everything a recreational diver wants to do, and if you decide to bin it in 3 years time its no great shakes. If you really want a watch style one, the Cressi Newton is also a great, reliable, simple product. Doesn't look as bling as the D5, but for D5 money... I'd go with the Garmin Descent.

+1 for the Leonardo. It was my first computer and I still pack it with me in my save-a-dive kit. Cheap, tough, and works.

+1 for the Leonardo. It was my first computer and I still pack it with me in my save-a-dive kit. Cheap, tough, and works.

Unless you know what your are doing, I would hesitate to go with Cressi. This is the most consistently conservative dive algorithm I am aware of. If that fits your style of diving, it would be fine.

... D5. Cost-wise it isn’t too bad although some may argue that there are better entry-level computers at a lower price. I’m looking for a computer that can incorporate nitrox as well.

They can all do nitrox these days.

If you don't need AI, see how much this costs where you are: Make the dive simple. 探索海洋就是這麼簡單 It's a new product with teething pains -- most hopefully fixable through firmware updates -- but if it's noticeably less that D5i, it may be worth a try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom