Computer Algorithm? Help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I need info or the computer algorithms, I know nothing about this subject treat it as explaining it to a child. lol I hope to get the order of most. con to the least con.

Oceanic computers tend to be among the more liberal under most circumstances and Suuntos tend to be among the more conservative under most circumstances. The others tend to fall in between these two.

If you are interested in buying a dive computer and don't understand the algorithms don't worry about it. You aren't going to understand them by reading this thread and they will all work sufficiently anyway.

Just pick a computer that you can read and that has an intuitive interface and keep your brain engaged in the loop and they will all work just fine for you.

This post, http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...zers/305374-so-you-want-buy-new-computer.html , which is stickied at the top of the forum
The Equipment of Scuba Diving > Computers, Gauges, Watches and Analyzers
has a good deal of comparative information about various models of dive computers. That may be more suited as an answer to the OP than an actual algorithm discussion.

[soapbox]
As a new SB member, I'm cutting the OP some slack for not finding this, and not realizing that there is a more appropriate forum for his question. But I note that several responders are veteran SB'ers. IMHO, Scubaboard would be a much more valuable resource to all if we tried to build on existing/prior discussion of topics, rather than have a context-free online cocktail party where the same questions are asked and answered (often differently) every couple of weeks, with no reference to the prior discussions, or knowledge articles like the excellent one that Rhone Man has created on the current subject.
[soapbox/]

This post, http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...zers/305374-so-you-want-buy-new-computer.html , which is stickied at the top of the forum
The Equipment of Scuba Diving > Computers, Gauges, Watches and Analyzers
has a good deal of comparative information about various models of dive computers. That may be more suited as an answer to the OP than an actual algorithm discussion.

[soapbox]
As a new SB member, I'm cutting the OP some slack for not finding this, and not realizing that there is a more appropriate forum for his question. But I note that several responders are veteran SB'ers. IMHO, Scubaboard would be a much more valuable resource to all if we tried to build on existing/prior discussion of topics, rather than have a context-free online cocktail party where the same questions are asked and answered (often differently) every couple of weeks, with no reference to the prior discussions, or knowledge articles like the excellent one that Rhone Man has created on the current subject.
[soapbox/]

I understood the question as the OP wanting more information on the decompression algorithms used in dive computers, not information on specific dive computers. It was a valid question. If you really want to stop redundant questioning, you should hit the DIR forum.

Your vytec won't request you make a 15' stop unless you exceed the ascent rates, miss a stop, or exceed your NDLs and miss a stop. A gekko/zoop will, in keeping with the recreational training that most open water students receive (ie always do a 5 minute stop, even if you don't exceed the recommended ascent rates).
Good catch. I forgot to note in my post that we had already paused at 15 feet for three minutes (which both of our computers requested, mine being the standard Suunto optional safety stop) and then on further ascent my buddy's Uwatec demanded another stop at ten feet.

-Bryan

Well I understand the tables very well I got cert in 95 been using tablets since.What I looking for is more time underwater the most I can get. What computers give the most time. I bought one on here and before I got it it was stolen out of my mailbox. Now I trying to figure out which one I am going to buy.:eyebrow:

What is the limiting factor on your dives now? Is it gas, or is it a NDL limit?

i just got my nitrox cert and plaining to start to do cave diving class within next 2 years but I am also going back to college trying to spend the least money I can but want more time under water.

i just got my nitrox cert and plaining to start to do cave diving class within next 2 years but I am also going back to college trying to spend the least money I can but want more time under water.

Well you could get a bottom timer for $110 which is pretty low cost. Uwatec Digital Depth Gauge 330M. Instruments Loose instruments, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, dive This one is metric only, but that has it's advantages. It will just give you depth and time. So you need to supply your own plan which can be as conservative or liberal as you choose. This is an approach many cave divers have taken.

You might want to take a look at "Deco for Divers", by Mark Powell. It's current, and very well written. It won't recommend a specific computer, but will give you a lot of good background. If I didn't have my favorite(and expensive) computer, the Liquivision X1, I'd go back to using the Aladin Tec 2g.

I need info or the computer algorithms, I know nothing about this subject treat it as explaining it to a child. lol I hope to get the order of most. con to the least con.

This question really does come up ad nauseum. Two recent examples would be http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/advanced-scuba-discussions/346588-difference-algorithms.html and http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/computers-gauges-watches-analyzers/346506-suunto-really-bad.html

I should be more tolerant of the same old question, but I'm not. Perhaps posters could do just a moducum of their own research and/or search prior posts. Educating the "child" is just not my interest. To head off retorts, yes I will ignore posts like this in the future.

Curmudgeon, Craig

Back
Top Bottom