Computer Algorithm? Help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heath Sapp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need info or the computer algorithms, I know nothing about this subject treat it as explaining it to a child. lol I hope to get the order of most. con to the least con.

As far as "most conservative" to "least conservative" it depends on the particulars of the dive and the sequence of dives.

On receational dives I use a Suunto (Vytec) which many consider conservative. But on a recent dive (a lake at altitude) my buddy's Uwatec demanded he make a stop (not optional) at ten feet while my Suunto was clear for me to surface. We had stayed together, often touching fins, the whole dive (second of a two-dive series).

So (if I interpret your question correctly) it's difficult to put dive computers in a simple one-dimensional ranking as to conservatism.

-Bryan

i need info or the computer algorithms, i know nothing about this subject treat it as explaining it to a child. .

there is a paper out by baker and maiken with the complete algorythm of the vpm model, which can be found here: vpm links

:d

I need info or the computer algorithms, I know nothing about this subject treat it as explaining it to a child. lol I hope to get the order of most. con to the least con.

Dang dude you show 100-200 dives and you ask such a 'basic' question.........:wink:......when you get a grasp let us know also......:D.....by the way WHICH one? Hint, the math is the easy part. :coffee:

What you're asking isn't really possible. Different decompression models work based on different mechanisms, presumptions, and empirical data.

This Wiki page has links to many of the common models used in computers and tables.

Category:Decompression algorithms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I see so many questions by newbies or experienced divers that surprisingly don't know the answer to something that we almost take for granted, and rather than getting the simple answer "in layman's terms" so to speak, they get a complicated technical answer or they get insulted.

Here ya go buddy:

As you probably know, we really don't know how much nitrogen is absorbed in our tissues. Therefore the "tables" calculate how much is "probably" in there and give you the opportunity to plan a dive based on depths, times, and surface intervals that "probably won't get you bent but we're not making any promises".

Computers do the same thing, however the way they are programmed by the manufacturer may vary, sometimes quite a bit, so that when they indicate that you are "in the green" or at least "out of the red", they are basing this on theoretical values and some may be using a more conservative or safe "guesstimate" while another computer might be throwing you to the dogs.

Advantages of a conservative model are less likelihood of getting bent.

Advantages of a less conservative model are longer and deeper dives.

As far as "most conservative" to "least conservative" it depends on the particulars of the dive and the sequence of dives.

On receational dives I use a Suunto (Vytec) which many consider conservative. But on a recent dive (a lake at altitude) my buddy's Uwatec demanded he make a stop (not optional) at ten feet while my Suunto was clear for me to surface. We had stayed together, often touching fins, the whole dive (second of a two-dive series).

So (if I interpret your question correctly) it's difficult to put dive computers in a simple one-dimensional ranking as to conservatism.

-Bryan

Your vytec won't request you make a 15' stop unless you exceed the ascent rates, miss a stop, or exceed your NDLs and miss a stop.

A gekko/zoop will, in keeping with the recreational training that most open water students receive (ie always do a 5 minute stop, even if you don't exceed the recommended ascent rates).

A gekko/zoop will, in keeping with the recreational training that most open water students receive (ie always do a 5 minute stop, even if you don't exceed the recommended ascent rates).

5 minutes? I thought it was 3 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom