Computer advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Centexbear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
It's time for me to ditch my old Suunto Gekko for many reasons.

I've spent a lot of time reading here about all the new computers and thought I'd reach out to get y'alls advice.

I don't want AI, I have and use an SPG. I don't want an integrated compass, I have an SK7 in a DSS bungee wrist mount. I've got about 75 dives under my belt with AOW and Nitrox. I'll be taking Rescue in the next few months. I don't want a watch style computer or a console. I have my Gekko in a bungee wrist mount and want to do similar with my new computer.

I dive for recreation. I may dabble in Tec in the future, I may not (even though I dive a bp/w w/ 7' hose and bungee necklace for the 2ndary. Someone turned me onto this method and I love it. I LOVE my bp/w....can't say that enough). I'm 47 and am pondering getting my DM and helping with classes at my LDS. Right now I want to get more diving experience and as much training as possible. I can also potentially see myself moving towards being an instructor as I approach retirement as something fun to keep active with and a great reason to continue diving.

Now that I've given too much background, haha, what are your thoughts. I'm very interested in the Petrel. I know the board likes it. If you couldn't get the Petrel, what would be the 2nd choice? I can do the Petrel $ wise but I'm curious what folks first and 2nd options would be? Wished the Cobalt 2 was in wrist mount so I could look hard at it too.

Another thing I was curious about was has anyone heard if Shearwater or anyone else is coming out with a hot new wrist (not watch) computer in the coming months? I guess DEMA is around the corner.

Thank you in advance!
Jeff

I'm 47 and am pondering getting my DM and helping with classes at my LDS.

One question from what you posted. Does the LDS require staff to wear the 'store brand' equipment? Some do, from what I understand.

Richard.

TBH I have no clue. To date I really don't have an affiliation with an LDS. I took OW with one and that's it. All my additional training has been while on trips.

I'm sorry, that was really a comment I just threw out there. There are a few LDS here in DFW and I'm not really even certain which one I'd pick or if they would even have a spot. I'm not even sure I'll remain in this area for that long or if I'd ever even pursue the pro side anyway. I have a career and if I did it'd be on the side, on the weekends, etc for a long time.

There isn't a 2nd place to the Petrel based on what you said IMO. You also mentioned the only other one I'd consider, the Cobalt 2. But it is on a hose, and even it is not a Petrel.

SO YEAH, JUST GET THE PETREL. OOPS SORRY CAPS LOCK, DAMM IPAD

There isn't a 2nd place to the Petrel based on what you said IMO. You also mentioned the only other one I'd consider, the Cobalt 2. But it is on a hose, and even it is not a Petrel.

SO YEAH, JUST GET THE PETREL. OOPS SORRY CAPS LOCK, DAMM IPAD

Man, C Dub that's the way I think I'm leaning. I don't see a good 2nd place option really. How long has the current Petrel been out? Anyone know when they are due for a new model or heard any news? I'd hate to make that big of a purchase only to have the new model come out the following month or two.

Jeff

Last edited:
Now that I've given too much background, haha, what are your thoughts. I'm very interested in the Petrel. I know the board likes it. If you couldn't get the Petrel, what would be the 2nd choice? I can do the Petrel $ wise but I'm curious what folks first and 2nd options would be? Wished the Cobalt 2 was in wrist mount so I could look hard at it too.

I looked at the Liquidvision Xeo computers before I bought my Petrels. The display is slightly better than petrel, and it's slightly less bulky. It's more expensive than petrel. I considered it when I was shopping for new DC's recently. Ended up with petrels but it was close. It's worth researching unless the $1k price point is out of the question.

kelemvor, no it's not out of the question. Thank you greatly for the advice and I'll check out the Xeo.

Hollis DG03 is the only other one I would consider, the Nitek Q has gotten quite a bit better than it was in the past, but even Dive Rite has dropped their integrated CCR features in favor of the Petrel. Only reason to get the DG03 is if you can't justify the Petrel, nothing else is really worth considering especially since they have the new Rec mode on it.

Hollis DG03 is the only other one I would consider, the Nitek Q has gotten quite a bit better than it was in the past, but even Dive Rite has dropped their integrated CCR features in favor of the Petrel. Only reason to get the DG03 is if you can't justify the Petrel, nothing else is really worth considering especially since they have the new Rec mode on it.

tbone, the DG03 is the only other I'm considering. I've heard the interface is a pain but I really wouldn't manipulate it a whole lot other than switching between air and nitrox settings.

it is a pain and if you want to download dive logs you have to get the $100 proprietary cable, and don't have the luxury of using a plain jane AA battery in it. It is probably nicer for travel since it is small cheap and you aren't going to be heard broken if it gets lost/stolen, but it is a good little computer and for the cost, it's hard to beat. If downloading logs isn't all that important to you, it's not terribly irritating to scroll through and put your logs in an excel sheet. It's convenient that the balance is really a $250 backup computer, vs. $850 full out beast, so you are talking real money instead of an extra $100 or something small.

My recommendation would be to just grab the DG03 while it is still available from DGX, once they are out they are out, if in a year or two you want to get the bigger nicer screen, ease of downloading, etc etc then you should be able to find a used petrel for about $700-$750 or so. You won't find them much cheaper than the list price now because the margins on them are pretty small and Shearwater keeps it that way, so the pricing won't change a whole lot if any over the next couple years on the Petrels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom