Computer advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am still using the first computer(Uwatec Aladin) that I bought in 1996 for rec dive. As for tec dive, I use two Bottom Timers + slate.

I am one of those who bought the Predator right before the Petrel came out. After a while I decided to get a Petrel, but there was really no reason to. If I had just kept on using the Predator I would have been fine. The Predator is just sitting around now, when it could be out doing outstanding work on dives for someone.

Dive computers are not like personal computers. They don't need to be replaced every other year. I bought my first computer in 1999. It is still working just fine. The algorithm hasn't changed. A friend of mine has it and loves it. It has all the features most recreational divers would ever want--maybe more. If you buy a Petrel and a newer computer comes out in a year or two, the Petrel will still be working fine for many years to come.

If you were to search other threads to see my normal advice for people who think they MIGHT go into tech some day, you will see that I normally say don't get a tech computer until you get some training and really know what you want. If, on the other hand, you really need a new computer and are willing to spend Petrel-type money, then that is the one to get.

Fair enough and good advice. So what would your top 2-3 recommendations be that fit the requirements in my initial post? There just aren't many wrist (non watch), options that fit what I'm looking for.

To me, if you spend $500 on a good computer, it's nothing really to spend another 200-300 to get a Petrel. Not saying that's the route I'm going but like others have pointed out, yes the Petrel is primarily for tech but the new recreational mode is still better than most anything else out there. I know I sound like I'm arguing for the Petrel but just talking through all the options.

Since I won't be diving in the next few weeks, I'm going to see what's announced at DEMA before I pull the trigger on anything. If Atomic made the Cobalt 2 in wrist, I'd probably be leaning that way. Still seriously considering the DG03.

---------- Post added November 6th, 2014 at 07:50 AM ----------

I am still using the first computer(Uwatec Aladin) that I bought in 1996 for rec dive. As for tec dive, I use two Bottom Timers + slate.

That was a good choice. My fav Cozumel DM uses that same computer. Unfortunately, my Gecko has given me fits and I need an upgrade. I got it in 2009. It served my purpose. I did the "buy a cheap computer until you find out you like diving" already so I'm ready to step up.

just get the DG03 now and wait another year or two before jumping up, see how many dives you actually make and what kind of dives those end up being. Centrals likes his damn Aladins, but while they were great back in the 90's, and even the 2000's, for the price of them you may as well get the DG03 which is the same price, and has more features. They're just outdated and even a lot of the GUE guys are going over to computers now that the kinks have been worked out from the initial ones.

I went through cave training and technical training on a Nitek Duo, somewhat similar to the DG03 but a few less features, AI etc. I ended up selling it, but it could still be used as a backup computer if I chose to dive with one, I got more than I paid for it when I sold it so couldn't really say much. I don't mind throwing tables and a depth gauge in my pocket.

If you don't have the money for the Petrel, just get the DG03 now and wait another year or two before jumping up, see how many dives you actually make and what kind of dives those end up being. Centrals likes his damn Aladins, but while they were great back in the 90's, and even the 2000's, for the price of them you may as well get the DG03 which is the same price, and has more features. They're just outdated and even a lot of the GUE guys are going over to computers now that the kinks have been worked out from the initial ones.

I went through cave training and technical training on a Nitek Duo (somewhat similar to the DG03 but a few less features) but would have LOVED to upgrade to a Petrel due to its vast and ubiquitous superiority. I ended up selling it, but it could still be used as a backup computer if I chose to dive with one, I got more than I paid for it when I sold it so couldn't really say much. I don't mind throwing tables and a depth gauge in my pocket.

There, I fixed it. You should also mention that your selling of your Nitek is BECAUSE you bought a Petrel ;-)

Since there's a lot of great advice being handed out, what computer would you recommend if you never intend to get into tech, but would probably use Nitrox? My son has a Suunto Zoop so I may inherit his. I'm guessing he'll want to upgrade since he starts his IE today. Being an aviator my thought is keep as simple as possible.

Since there's a lot of great advice being handed out, what computer would you recommend if you never intend to get into tech, but would probably use Nitrox? My son has a Suunto Zoop so I may inherit his. I'm guessing he'll want to upgrade since he starts his IE today. Being an aviator my thought is keep as simple as possible.

This is really the topic of another thread, but I'll try to answer it succinctly:

Hollis DG03 if you're looking for cheap. Shearwater Petrel if you're looking for high quality. The Petrel doesn't have to be used on Tech dives, and is a MUCH better recreational computer than any of the "recreational" computers. It's as simple as it gets, and even more robust. My policy in life is to either spend as little as possible or get the absolute best. There are computers more expensive than the Petrel, but none better. The Hollis DG03 will do anything you could ever want and more if you'll never dive Trimix, and can still be a great backup if you DO dive Trimix.

Suunto and Mares computers use custom algorithms that arbitrarily penalize you for "bad behavior" that is sometimes unavoidable. Stay away if you have a choice. They'll do fine if you're getting a free one. Having said that: I literally wouldn't dive it if you gave one to me.

zoop also doesn't do gauge mode or average depth, so that's rather irritating, and replacing the battery is a pain because you have to remove the watch band on one side. It's a good super cheap computer, but the DG03 is better.

Well, that's what I figured the consensus would be. However, I didn't expect the strong opinion on the Suunto and Mares brands, but I understand. I'm sure there's a few other brands that you could include with them. I think I'm going to be spending/lending a sh** load of money soon on dive gear.

I hear ya TBel on the $$. Haha. Your situation is pretty much similar to mine. I have the pre zoop (gekko) model.

I think Victor summarized it perfectly. From what I've heard and read, is the Petrel is a better rec computer than other rec computers on the market.

If you are going to be spending a lot of money on scuba gear and don't have any plans to go into tech, then look to save some money on a computer. Victor gave good advice. I will only add that user-replaceable batteries are a good thing, and being able to go into gauge mode will be very nice for you in case you do unexpectedly decide to go into tech. There was a time in my life when I saw nothing in my diving future but warm tropical reefs. Now I am mostly doing the things I thought I would never do.

Back
Top Bottom