Computer advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are going to be spending a lot of money on scuba gear and don't have any plans to go into tech, then look to save some money on a computer. Victor gave good advice. I will only add that user-replaceable batteries are a good thing, and being able to go into gauge mode will be very nice for you in case you do unexpectedly decide to go into tech. There was a time in my life when I saw nothing in my diving future but warm tropical reefs. Now I am mostly doing the things I thought I would never do.

That's a great point regarding the user-replaceable batteries and the gauge mode. I hinted at gauge mode, but didn't come out and say it. The DG03 has a user-replaceable battery, but you have to get a spare while you have civilization around you....don't count on getting one in the middle of a big dive trip. The Petrel uses the ultra-rare "AA" battery. Wait, not rare....

As for never going in to Tech diving.....be VERY careful saying that. I swore I'd never be a tech/cave diver and I'd never own any tanks. I've got 9 tanks in my house, pricing out a few more, and I'm a lightweight amongst my peers. Plus, I'm certified Deco and Cave and looking into Trimix.

I'll keep that in mind. Now that you mention it, taking some sidemount training may be in my future. Back to computers, nobody mentioned the X-Deep Black. I like the idea of being able to upgrade it as your needs change and it appears very similar to the Shearwater Petrel. Any thoughts or experience with that one.

Last edited:
I'll keep that in mind. Now that you mention taking some side mount training may be in my future. Back to computers, nobody mentioned the X-Deep Black. I like the idea of being able to upgrade it and it appears very similar to the Shearwater Petrel
Similar, but without the reliability. So far, reviews have been very disheartening. I wanted one until I saw all of the problems

Back
Top Bottom