Compressor clunking / rattling while running: need diagnostic / repair help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Step right up, step right up, test your brawn, get that inch and a quarter valve
torqued down to 60Nm peened in and run for years with your snap ring pliers

View attachment 693504

When you can barely get it out with the proper tool and the pissy handle provided

View attachment 693506

Here's a partial picture of my partial angst

View attachment 693507

No it's not underneath an old shitbox car, it's an in service breathing air compressor

Nice isn't it.

From a QLD dive shop

Bums!
You gonna take the jug off and put it in the ultrasonic? Or just pressure wash it with Engine Bright.

Ha ha ha, it had already been hot waterblasted, that bit was behind
the flywheel and inter-coolers inside the shroud in a frame ha ha ha

P1010305.JPG

Here the jugs and most everything else got more blasting with sand
I got a great crosshatch going on inside them thar blasted jugs also

040.JPG

Ha ha ha

P1010746.JPG

But there's more...

028.JPG

But not much more...

Here it is, get those valves in there and out

009.JPG

and remember the copper grease

And if they just are not cooked enough yet or you're having trouble finding valves

001.JPG

the different diameters if you have four stages permit some flipping and swapping

Here is one, another valve, fourth stage head, only 14mm diameter
Came out in pieces see the metal pushed over in three of the holes

035aa (2).JPG

did the farmer torque this to 25nm, with snap ring pliers and a hammer

It's not soft metal

See this was dinged up in a clockwise-right direction during installation

Must say this thread sure has become motivational

full

An update, but not much progress.

I haven't forgotten or given up: just busy. I had regulators to rebuild, as well as other non-SCUBA items. This was not the best time for me to disassemble my compressor...

I have removed the intake and exhaust valves from the second and third heads. The instructions that came with the LF valves made this process very easy -- and yes, @happy-diver, despite your condescending insinuations, I used the proper tool. No pliers were harmed in the removal of these valves -- and no valves were harmed, either. At no point was even moderate force used without the right tool in the right environment.

Currently, I am working on cleaning the heads and the reed valve. I will not be even attempting to clean them to the level that @happy-diver has shown above: these are tools, not art, and they will get dirty the second they're put back into use. But I do have to say that his photos are motivating me to clean them better than I might have otherwise.

I'm backing away from even Crystal Simple Green: I've found that even at 1:30 a soak for a couple of hours badly softens the paint (not even anodized!), so I'm avoiding that. I'm going with Dawn Platinum and hot water, and an application of of nylon brushes, a 3m synthetic steel wool pad (gentle!) and brass brush (very gentle!).

Honestly, the biggest obstacle right now is fear. Inaction is easier than action, because inaction won't break anything -- and action just might. But inaction won't get this put back together; so I keep putting slow, careful effort into this.

Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know I'm still working on this. I'm very open to any specific cleaning suggestions -- no, more photos probably won't help. But if you have suggestions or cautions, I'm all ears.

I'm going to pretend I'm a Southerner and use beautimous if that's ok couv, wait I am a Southerner

Does anyone else think this looks like LeVar Burton smiling

P1010611.JPG

Remember to water test your reed valves

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom