Completely Overwhelmed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been using the same DS4 and TX 50 since 1998 for rec and tec dive.
Apeks is still made in UK, you shouldn't have any problem of servicing them locally. And since Apeks is now a member of Aqualung group, having it service worldwide shouldn't be an issue.

Have you had them repaired overseas ar all? I don't dive in the UK much...

Have you had them repaired overseas ar all? I don't dive in the UK much...
Yes previously. However, since picking up technical diving I had learnt how to do it myself. Most of their models(old and new) use the same 1st and 2nd service kit with the exception of "Flight" and "Status". BTW, they are not difficult to work with.
Any Aqualung dealer should be able to do it for you.
The Apeks kit(ATX series) that I suggested is an old model but those that I am still using are even older. And the SP kit that you mentioned is pretty NEW.
It might be a good idea to find out the service charge for both set in UK.

Thanks Centrals. I'm off to the LDS today to see what they charge for servicing for each of these setups.

If west Norwood is anywhere close visit Amphibian. They will try to sell you recline but if you insist on apeks they will do as good a price as anyone. You will find that the servicing is about the same on all the brands.

Btw tbone is talking rubbish regarding hose lengths and Bsac divers. If you are not doing a course (indeed a lesson involving sharing gas) you can hog loop if you like.

as he is new, I figured there may be more courses upcoming and wouldn't want him to have to buy multiple hose sets to be compatible, that's all.

Apeks>Scubapro for the sets you mentioned if only because it's cheaper and sealed which I value. I would prefer the hose routing of the MK25, but if you can convince the shop to sell you the DST with bottom port instead of the DS4, you're in the same scenario.
Servicing globally is a non-issue due to being under the Aqualung umbrella and the fact that all of the Apeks regs still use the same parts kit, just some with a few more or less o-rings than others, and the second stages are all essentially the same whether they have adjustment knobs or not *50/100/200*, or are reversible *XTX*

In the UK, you can't go wrong with a set of Apeks ATX 40s and a DS4. Easy to service, parts are easy to get. Should run you around the £250 mark.

So as it turns out, I might wind up kind of having both. I got the scubapro set up, and my husband may get the Apeks one. Mine seems more solid than anything I've ever used before. He hasn't purchased yet...

I also bought an Aqualung Pearl BCD because it fit like a glove, and not that many companies make XS it seems. Can't wait to use them both in May in Manado!

Then I would suggest your husband should buy the same set because it is easier to service them together and might be cheaper as well.
Have a nice trip in Indonesia.

Back
Top Bottom