Completely Overwhelmed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, after spending a bit more time on this, there are a fair number of servicing locations for a variety of brands. London is good like that thankfully. There is even a reputable LDS within close walking distance.

For my purposes (warm water 15C and above) I think a yoke connection makes sense. I don't see much UK diving in my future, to be honest. I did 4 dives in Swanage last year and I don't think it's for me. Philippines, Indonesia, Maldives, Belize, etc are what I'm planning.

As for console vs wrist gauges. I HATE having stuff on my wrists- even a dive computer on my wrist irritates me, so standard tuck it in the BCD belt or clip console would be preferable.

I feel like I'm starting to narrow things down. Apeks/aqualung and Scubapro are both options.

Keep the opinions coming!!!

I've also just read a few reviews on the Apex Flight one and maybe not on that one. Any Apeks recommendations?

Oh, just missed the comment above on Apeks.

So far this is the front runner for me. Any opinions?

View media item 199756

Last edited:
if you stay with a console, which for recreational diving I'm actually not opposed to, it is far better to cross clip it to the right shoulder D-ring in order to keep it streamlined and from dragging and catching on things behind you which irritates the living bejeezuz out of me.

You can always choose to switch to DIN later, it will cost you about L50, but it's not that big of a deal.

That scubapro set is quite good. The regs are very nice albeit a little heavier than some, but they breathe better than anything else in their line imho. That is a slimline gauge console so it is unlikely that you'll be able to put a computer in the depth gauge slot, so if you're OK diving tables, which is fine for recreational diving, then that console will be fine, otherwise you will have to change both the SPG and the depth gauge.

As far as hating things on your wrist, can you wear a wrist watch? There are quite a few nice computers out there that are in "large" wrist watch format, i.e. Casio GShock type size. The Oceanic Geo 2.0 is the best bang for buck in that realm and may be worth looking into.

Hi Tbone.

I do have a wrist dive computer. A basic Suunto Zoop, which does me just fine. I don't like wrist watches in general, and I make an exception for the Zoop because there isn't really much option. I just don't want MORE on my wrists. :) The console looks pretty much the same as all the rental gear stuff I have been diving with and has been more than adequate thus far. It seems a good medium level set up, but I just want to make sure I'm not off my rocker.

Thanks.

other than the computer there is nothing more to put on your wrist except maybe a compass, but there are ways around that anyway. If you have the zoop and like it, then there is no need for a console, only a plain SPG and the LDS should be willing to sell you one without the console.

are you a bsac diver per chance? if not, then I would request some custom hose lengths in the package to have it set up a bit better than the normal recreational stuff, though if you dive with BSAC members, it won't be allowed.

Apeks DS4 + 2 x ATX 40 + double console = GBP299.00
SP Mk25 Evo + G260 +R195 + double console = GBP434.78
I would go for the former.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom