Completely Overwhelmed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maat1976

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All.

I am really overwhelmed by all the information on regulators.

I'd like to buy a regulator package, under £500, all in.

Maybe something like these:

http://www.deepbluedive.com/package...h-scubapro-r195-octo-free-triple-console.html

Or

http://www.simplyscuba.com/products/Apeks/FlightStage4Set-Pewter.aspx

Does anyone have any experience with with of these??? Any recommendations on reputable online shops as well? I'm in the UK. Alternatively, if there are components that add up to that budget, I'm open minded. I'm slightly embarrassed that I even need to ask for this assistance.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Just under L500 - you might ask if they'll sell you this in Yoke (a-clamp) instead. For $5 more that's the best 2nd Scubapro sells.
http://www.deepbluedive.com/package...th-c200-octo-triple-console-free-reg-bag.html

MK17 is their top diaphragm first stage model also. If you're mostly diving warm water a MK21 piston model might be a little more reasonable - it's the newest in the Scuapro line - only several years old now. It also has heatsinks for cold water use - the advantage to any diaphragm being that natively they're going to be slightly better against freeze-up by design. I think SP offers it to their dealers in a package with the G260 also but any larger dealer should be able to mix match

Either works.

best thing you can do since you're in the UK is support local business and buy Apeks. They're top quality regs and a DST/a or XTX50 set in yoke or DIN is quite reasonable. ATX50 will only remove some aesthetics, the reversible option, and the user changeable exhaust T's, but the guts are identical.
http://www.divelife.co.uk/scuba-manufacturers/Apeks/7358/Apeks-ATX40-Stage-4
call these guys and see if they will do that combo with the DST first stage and set it up like the Dive Rite XT Advanced Open Water kit and you'll be good to go! unless of course you are diving with BSAC in which case primary hose donation is explicitly forbidden, and then you have to go with normal hose lengths

I need to spend a bit of time reading why yoke vs. DIN. It's late here and I've forgotten since last I read up on it. So I'd need an octopus and console on top of this combo above. Any recos for something reasonable?
I believe the suggestion of a yoke is based upon the comment that you will dive warm water. The warm water destination's I am familiar with in the Caribbean primarily use yoke tanks and while they may be able to accommodate a DIN reg it may be hit or miss. As for a reg you seem to be on a budget, have you considered used? While I am not familiar with the UK, here in the US alot of folks begin diving and buy some very nice equipment and then for whatever reasons don't persue it and then this barly used quality equipment ends up on the used market at a substantial discount.

yoke is usually what you find in warm water locations, but convertible valves are becoming more common these days. can use a din to yoke converter if you have a din reg also with yoke tanks. i would skip the full console. get a spg and wrist mount your compass and dive computer.

Apeks is made in Blackburn so unless you are from Yorkshire, there is no reason to consider anything other than Apeks in UK.
The company is owned by Aqualung now but most of the employees are Brit.

So this combination...

https://www.planetdivestore.com/div...cubapro-mk21-g260/11813/45661/sc#.Vp1xNOzfXCQ

I need to spend a bit of time reading why yoke vs. DIN. It's late here and I've forgotten since last I read up on it. So I'd need an octopus and console on top of this combo above. Any recos for something reasonable?

Thanks in advance.
That link doesn't work for me since I can't buy Scubapro at those prices from them but I noticed a package Mk21/G260 pkg. for L369 including an R195 octo - was that it?

Because one down and to the right is a Mk25/S600 EVO/R195 plus bag for L387 - for the L18 difference I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Assuming their website is doing the conversion for me correctly.

I also looked at their 3 gauge consoles - if you can stretch the budget L10, I'd go for that Oceanic Nav or there was a PMS model for :L103 - that's not a brand I know at all. Service on a console is o-rings and a spool so it's pretty generic - often included in the reg service price. I'm real good at spending all your money..lol

A Mk25 is the top of the SP line and the highest performing model they sell - the S600 is the classic pairing with it. An S600 is also a better 2nd stage than the G260 in the listing to the left. That's probably a $150 upgrade all by itself.

One consideration also should be service - do you have a SP dealer close by? I like Tbone's ^ Apeks suggestions also. One advantage they might have worldwide is I believe Aqualung/Apeks has an even larger dealer network than Scubapro.

On our side of the world Yoke is everywhere. In the Caribbean I'd say 98% of all operators use Yoke. DIN is a better connection for people who own tanks and dive locally. Cave/tech divers prefer it for reliability but it deforms easier if dropped so not so good for rental fleets. You can also buy a DIN to yoke adapter cheap but some people have issues with it hitting them in the head. I'm also seeing more convertable valves - Din valves with a Yoke insert that unscrews. But there's boatloads of yoke tanks that need to be converted in rental fleets everywhere.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom