Compass/Bottom Timers at night

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquamaniac

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently did a few night dives with low viz that required extensive navigation.
For the best part of the dive, the navigator was watching the compass full time.
My config is standard with compass and light on left arm, Bottom timer on the right.
What I found was that it was awkward to swap the light from hand to hand to see either instrument.
A simple solution may have been to have both instruments on the one arm.
Anyone have any comments.
Dave

I know I will get flamed from certain quaters for this but I wear a miniQ40 on my mask which make checking instruments and reading a compass in the dark a lot easier.

Well that's my method and I like it! :eek:ut:

Jonathan once bubbled...
I know I will get flamed from certain quaters for this but I wear a miniQ40 on my mask which make checking instruments and reading a compass in the dark a lot easier.

Well that's my method and I like it! :eek:ut:

I actually have a lite smaller than the Q40. And I agree, works great. I also don't use a compass on my arm as it gets in the way and is not used that much in normal diving.

MD

Things can get busy and we only have two hands. I plead guilty to putting my ligh in my right hand from time to time like when looking at a compass or adjusting buoyancy. I also will at times drape the cord (can light) over my neck if I need bothe hands to do something.

Others may have better techniques and I'm willing to listen but when wearing a light on your left hand with a Goodman hadle the light gets flashed all over the place when adjusting buoyancy. If the compass is on the left I don't see any way to see it without putting the light in the right.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Others may have better techniques and I'm willing to listen but when wearing a light on your left hand with a Goodman hadle the light gets flashed all over the place when adjusting buoyancy. If the compass is on the left I don't see any way to see it without putting the light in the right.

Of course the easy way is to mount your lights on your helmet.... :)

Duncan

Duncan Price once bubbled...

Of course the easy way is to mount your lights on your helmet.... :)

Duncan

Yea, but when I pulled the visor down, it cut off my air. After 4 or 5 times on lifesupport I finally gave it up :rolleyes:

MD

I have a Suunto SK-7 and I keep my light in my left hand. When I want to look at my depth gauge/computer, I either turn on its backlight or shine the light on it (gauge on right wrist). When I need my compass (on left wrist), I switch the light over to my right hand and hold the reflector against the compass for a few seconds and then put the goodman back in my left hand. The compass is now "charged" and glows for a minute or two, which is plenty long enough for me to use it to find the next waypoint.

I use a Princeton Tek head lamp.

I have modified my hood with some Velcro, glue and neoprene, works great. I keep thinking about going to a helmet, I use one while caving, climbing, biking and skiing, why not wreck diving?

Just remember that when you look at someone, be carefull not to shine the light in thier eyes.

I have a few issues with head mounted lights.
I did a dive in an overhead environment a few months ago with a guy who was wearing a mask mounted light.

1st Problem.
The diver tended to switch his focus between the light from the head mount to the light from his handheld. Whenever I needed to give the "OK" signal, by circling his light, I was always usure what light to circle, at times, he missed my signals completely.

2nd Problem.
When we did OOA drills, it was almost impossible to stop him from looking into my face and blinding me. Task loading tends to make the diver forget he is blinding you!

Dave

O-ring once bubbled...

or shine the light on it (gauge on right wrist). When I need my compass (on left wrist), I switch the light over to my right hand and hold the reflector against the compass for a few seconds and then put the goodman back in my left hand. The compass is now "charged" and glows for a minute or two, which is plenty long enough for me to use it to find the next waypoint.

My b/t or computer does not have a backlight. When I hit them with my HID, I blind myself. Hitting a white slate is also a joy :)

The mask light I have is quite dim and works well for reading close stuff without interfering with my primary, or blinding my partner.

MD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom