Configuration question regarding lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Dooley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got TDI advanced nitrox / deco certified. Fun stuff. Here's how my instructor had my accessories on my arms / wrists -

Left - dive computer
Right - hand mounted light (soft goodman glove), dive watch (timer / depth guage), slate

A few days ago I was doing some cavern diving in Mexico and noticed the guide (using a canister light) kept the light in her left hand. I mentioned my righthand goodman glove during my TDI training and she seemed a tad surprised I'd have it on my right, and that my Shearwater was on the left.

Not trying to start a debate just curious if the arrangement I trained with was an anomaly or fairly standard for wreck diving (I tried and failed to get my advanced wreck cert also - but the Spiegel Grove hasn't seen the last of me).

When I started always kept computer on my right, that way i can easily monitor depth while dumping gas on ascent (vertically). As I've progressed in Tech I now have 2 computers, one on each wrist and it really doesn't matter as I ascend in trim and dump with either hand (butt dump). As for light, it moves back and forth depending on what I'm doing (reel work, etc) and which hand is closer to the cave line (free hand).

Light - anomaly (albeit in my limited experience). Why blind your partner if you have to donate? Most likely valve to have issues is the right post. That said, the light does move around between them, though, during normal use.

I hope you write with your left hand. :)

Primary depth reference on the right leaving left free to manipulate dump valve. I guess if that's your depth gauge, that's cool, but I would use my computer (and put it on the right arm).

I have a Perdix on both forearms. My can light (and LX20 before that) goes on my right hand. My tech/cave instructor doesn’t care which hand. I’m very predominately right handed. Tried it on my left. Was just too danged weird so it went back on right hand. I use a soft glove not hard goodman.

I dive SM with two transmitters if that makes any difference.

I just got TDI advanced nitrox / deco certified. Fun stuff. Here's how my instructor had my accessories on my arms / wrists -

Left - dive computer
Right - hand mounted light (soft goodman glove), dive watch (timer / depth guage), slate

A few days ago I was doing some cavern diving in Mexico and noticed the guide (using a canister light) kept the light in her left hand. I mentioned my righthand goodman glove during my TDI training and she seemed a tad surprised I'd have it on my right, and that my Shearwater was on the left.

Not trying to start a debate just curious if the arrangement I trained with was an anomaly or fairly standard for wreck diving (I tried and failed to get my advanced wreck cert also - but the Spiegel Grove hasn't seen the last of me).

that is backwards from the "norm".
Computer on right allows you easy access to view information while you are on a DPV as well as while manipulating buoyancy with your left.
Light on left allows you to manipulate the light independent of the DPV. Downside to light on left if you don't have a canister with a hard goodman is that you tend to blind your buddy when you use your rear dump. If you have it on your right it also makes reel work obnoxious for your fellow cave divers if you don't clip it off or move to the left hand so it doesn't dance around the caves.

I know this is all conducive to long range cave diving given that the accommodations are made largely for the DPV, but it works really well for a reason

that is backwards from the "norm".
Computer on right allows you easy access to view information while you are on a DPV as well as while manipulating buoyancy with your left.
Light on left allows you to manipulate the light independent of the DPV. Downside to light on left if you don't have a canister with a hard goodman is that you tend to blind your buddy when you use your rear dump. If you have it on your right it also makes reel work obnoxious for your fellow cave divers if you don't clip it off or move to the left hand so it doesn't dance around the caves.

I know this is all conducive to long range cave diving given that the accommodations are made largely for the DPV, but it works really well for a reason

This is the way.

A lot of people dive in a format called DIR - Dooin It Rite. Aside from their spelling, DIR is a very well thought through configuration which has probably saved a lot of lives as it somewhat standardises the kit and procedures in an effective way.

DIR uses a 2.1m/7ft hose which is donated into the face of someone who needs gas and the donor uses a short hose and regulator that's hanging under their neck with a bungee necklace. As a result of this configuration the right hand side needs to be kept clear such that the whole hose can be deployed. This tends to mean the torch is kept on the left hand with a Goodman Handle -- typically it's a torch on an umbilical cable connected to the waist mounted cannister. As the torch is on the left hand, the computer's kept on the right such that the torch can illuminate it. Decompression cylinders are kept on the left hand side so it's out of the way of the longhose.

The main proponents of DIR configuration are agencies like GUE and UTD, but it's very much made its way into diving tradition, particularly for technical diving. It's very common.

Some people base their configuration on DIR but modify it according to the needs of the dive in hand. Sidemount's an example where having a longhose on the RH cylinder and a short necklaced hose on the LHS.

Rebreather divers mildly follow the DIR configuration although it's far more common to see two bailout stage cylinders hung one left, one right. GUE has developed their own peculiar heavily modified rebreather configuration which closely follows the DIR principles; this is a very small minority of rebreather divers.

A lot of people dive in a format called DIR - Dooin It Rite. Aside from their spelling, DIR is a very well thought through configuration which has probably saved a lot of lives as it somewhat standardises the kit and procedures in an effective way.

DIR uses a 2.1m/7ft hose which is donated into the face of someone who needs gas and the donor uses a short hose and regulator that's hanging under their neck with a bungee necklace. As a result of this configuration the right hand side needs to be kept clear such that the whole hose can be deployed. This tends to mean the torch is kept on the left hand with a Goodman Handle -- typically it's a torch on an umbilical cable connected to the waist mounted cannister. As the torch is on the left hand, the computer's kept on the right such that the torch can illuminate it. Decompression cylinders are kept on the left hand side so it's out of the way of the longhose.

The main proponents of DIR configuration are agencies like GUE and UTD, but it's very much made its way into diving tradition, particularly for technical diving. It's very common.

Some people base their configuration on DIR but modify it according to the needs of the dive in hand. Sidemount's an example where having a longhose on the RH cylinder and a short necklaced hose on the LHS.

Rebreather divers mildly follow the DIR configuration although it's far more common to see two bailout stage cylinders hung one left, one right. GUE has developed their own peculiar heavily modified rebreather configuration which closely follows the DIR principles; this is a very small minority of rebreather divers.
I did indeed have the bungeed secondary necklace, and the Petrel of course is illuminated so all good there.

My instructor personally doesn't opt for AI on tech dives, so the right handed light seemed apt to illuminate the SPG (clipped on left hip) as we were diving beyond the reach out daylight into the wrecks.

I did indeed have the bungeed secondary necklace, and the Petrel of course is illuminated so all good there.

My instructor personally doesn't opt for AI on tech dives, so the right handed light seemed apt to illuminate the SPG (clipped on left hip) as we were diving beyond the reach out daylight into the wrecks.
Typically you will just shine the light on the SPG for a second prior to unclipping it which keeps it a single hand activity vs a 2-hand activity.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom