Configuration question regarding lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Goodman handle allows you to use your fingers with the light in place. If reaching back for the SPG, it's common to slip the light from the left to the right hand, reach back to unclip the SPG with the left, then hold the light against the SPG to "charge the luminous dial", then read it.

There's plenty of other reasoning behind DIR which includes specifics for DPV / scootering. Kind of touches on some of the issues of DIR which is how some people take the best parts of it and incorporate it into their diving whilst others see that configuration as some form of holy writ. Most sit somewhere in between.

When tech diving, my light goes on the left hand unless I want that hand for something, then it moves to the right hand temporarily or it's clipped off on my right shoulder d-ring and the cord (assuming can light) is tucked away.

I just got TDI advanced nitrox / deco certified. Fun stuff. Here's how my instructor had my accessories on my arms / wrists -

Left - dive computer
Right - hand mounted light (soft goodman glove), dive watch (timer / depth guage), slate

A few days ago I was doing some cavern diving in Mexico and noticed the guide (using a canister light) kept the light in her left hand. I mentioned my righthand goodman glove during my TDI training and she seemed a tad surprised I'd have it on my right, and that my Shearwater was on the left.

Not trying to start a debate just curious if the arrangement I trained with was an anomaly or fairly standard for wreck diving (I tried and failed to get my advanced wreck cert also - but the Spiegel Grove hasn't seen the last of me).
I am not sure how the soft one works, I believe it is something like a glove and doesn't allow you to switch hands, right? If yes, did you try a hard goodman hold? It would allow you to switch hands as you like and would solve all your issues

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom