Question Operating your wing inflator while carrying a dive torch on goodman handle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jayknight

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My fellow diving enthusiasts. My first post on something that is keeping me busy of late.

Recently switched to a backplate / wing. But it made me reconsider my setup a bit. As it turns out, I was used (while using a standard BCD) to pulling on the inflator hose to deflate, which is obviously not supported in a wing (at least not by mine).

I do a lot of night dives. For this purpose I have a torch on a goodman handle on my left hand. Computer, compass is on my right. I have trouble operating my inflator / deflator that way (in particular the latter). I find it hard to get a good grip on the in/deflator with thick gloves and goodman handle, and secondly my movement is creating unwanted ‘light signals’.
I have considered switching my instruments with my torch, but this is also suboptimal, as I will not be able to keep an eye out on my instruments while operating my in/deflator. Operating the in/deflator with my right hand also seems a bit weird (and the hose is a tad bit short for that anyway). Temporarily moving the torch to my right hand is also not optimal in case you need to quickly dump some air.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I think it would help to know what kind of diving you do, what kind of goodman handle you have and so on.

Few thoughts:
1. BP/W is very configurable and if you want that "pull to dump" feature, you can get it, here's an example: HOG RE Dump Valve w/ 16in Pull Wire
2. When are you in a situation where you need to "quickly dump some air?" Are you in incredibly dynamic ocean environments or caves? Do you have buoyancy issues? (Don't take offense, serious question).
3. Everything in the water needs to be controlled, so unless you have some serious issues, swap hands, operate your buoyancy controls. Get dialed in, then execute your plan.

Here's a video you can watch for reference, where the concept of signaling is covered:

My fellow diving enthusiasts. My first post on something that is keeping me busy of late.

Recently switched to a backplate / wing. But it made me reconsider my setup a bit. As it turns out, I was used (while using a standard BCD) to pulling on the inflator hose to deflate, which is obviously not supported in a wing (at least not by mine).

I do a lot of night dives. For this purpose I have a torch on a goodman handle on my left hand. Computer, compass is on my right. I have trouble operating my inflator / deflator that way (in particular the latter). I find it hard to get a good grip on the in/deflator with thick gloves and goodman handle, and secondly my movement is creating unwanted ‘light signals’.
I have considered switching my instruments with my torch, but this is also suboptimal, as I will not be able to keep an eye out on my instruments while operating my in/deflator. Operating the in/deflator with my right hand also seems a bit weird (and the hose is a tad bit short for that anyway). Temporarily moving the torch to my right hand is also not optimal in case you need to quickly dump some air.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Didn't you just ask this question and get 23 responses? Why two identical threads?

Those with only one arm no shoulder dump a too short hose one glove and a goodman handle put your hand up!

You have found the main reason why it should be better to have a right hand pull-dump on your wing.

I’ve been saying for years it is a stupid idea to have the rear dump on the left.

Mares had the right idea when they designed their wings with a swappable dump valve so you could choose.

It seems crazy that one of the most important/used items in diving is buried under your stages/bailouts and requires you to put your lamp into temp hold while you dump.

I know they say it’s for when you are using a scooter with your right hand, that the dump is on the left, but how many of the millions of people diving actually use a scooter and need this exact feature?

If I had to choose a hill to die on, putting the dump on the RHS might be the one lol

Temporarily moving the torch to my right hand is also not optimal in case you need to quickly dump some air.
It takes seconds, and if you're flat in the water you can just go a little head down and use your fins too. Not an issue.

You have found the main reason why it should be better to have a right hand pull-dump on your wing.

I’ve been saying for years it is a stupid idea to have the rear dump on the left.

Mares had the right idea when they designed their wings with a swappable dump valve so you could choose.

It seems crazy that one of the most important/used items in diving is buried under your stages/bailouts and requires you to put your lamp into temp hold while you dump.

I know they say it’s for when you are using a scooter with your right hand, that the dump is on the left, but how many of the millions of people diving actually use a scooter and need this exact feature?

If I had to choose a hill to die on, putting the dump on the RHS might be the one lol
So you're in the process of donating -- that's with your right hand.

Then you feel the urge to have a dump -- that's with your left hand. You can inflate your wing with the left hand too.

With a left-hand dump you can both donate with the right hand and dump/inflate with the left.

buoyancy control is on the left. Gauge is on the right. You can see your gauge when either inflating or deflating.

If you split up your inflate/deflate, your gauge won't be visible while you're manipulating one or the other.

PLUS scooter. Plus ability to dump and inflate on an unconscious diver while maintaining the airway w/ right hand.

Elbowing some stages out of the way is super minor compared to the above factors.

Y’all be repeating the same mantras about age old techniques in diving but why not give it some thought as to the benefits of a RH reardump as an alternative?

Now on your LHside you can have all your stages and/or bailouts, you can have your CCR controller on your left arm if desired (if you only dive with one computer), you can keep your torch in hand while your donate or dump air or throw hand signals all with your right hand.

Most importantly when you go to dump air you don’t have to elbow a bunch of bottles out the way 50 times a dive.

I dunno, change my mind here, I’ve adopted many techniques in many sports over the years because they are ‘accepted practice’ and people do it because ‘it’s always been that way’… but I dunno, For 99% of my diving a RH rear dump would be better in my opinion.

Come at me with the koolaid and hate now lol

Why not a dump on BOTH sides?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom