Comparing S600 versions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder to what extend are the parts used in 1st and 4th gen interchangeable?

I wonder to what extend are the parts used in 1st and 4th gen interchangeable?

I would think that they are interchangeable. The first S600 was just a G500 with a new face plate, everything else was the same. I am sure you could update a first gen S600 to a latter 600 very easily.

Thanks, ams511. I am also hoping to hear from the top experts (DA, Awap, etc) on the subject matter about the evolution of the S600. Might it be that they missed this thread?

Sent PMs to couv and DA Aquamaster about the thread. Hope we will hear from them.

awap seems to be MIA on the forum. In fact, I his account and posts seem to be deleted. I am a bit worried about him. Does anyone know what happened to him?

awap seems to be MIA on the forum. In fact, I his account and posts seem to be deleted. I am a bit worried about him. Does anyone know what happened to him?

I think that, unfortunately, they purged his account from SB and he is no longer a member of SB. VERY stupid and vicious thing what they did.

Awap is no longer a scubaboard member. He's fine, just not participating on the board. Oceancurrent, do you have any specific questions about your S600? I believe parts are generally interchangeable between versions, except the newest version that just came out is supposedly smaller and likely has very few interchangeable parts.

I have schematics from 2004-12. Send me a message if you're interested. I'm sure several others on the board have what I have.

Hi Oceancurrent,

I've just received your PM, sorry I am not familiar with the S600.

I think that, unfortunately, they purged his account from SB and he is no longer a member of SB. VERY stupid and vicious thing what they did.

Sheesh! Why would anyone even think to do something like this? :(:confused:

Oceancurrent, do you have any specific questions about your S600?

Well, I am doing research on S600. I am thinking of getting an S600, but there are things that bother me about it. I like the purge on the early versions, but I don't want to end with a plastic barrel reg. Also, from what I can tell one of the balanced chamber designs is a mess, since they went to lengths to redesign it (just a hunch... but is it so?). So, my idea is to make a franken-S600 which would combine the best of the various version (early S600 purge style, best balance chamber and spring tension adjustment mechanic of the bunch, metal barrel). Does this make any sense at all or am I out of my mind?

I've just received your PM, sorry I am not familiar with the S600.

Thank you anyways for taking a look.

So, my idea is to make a franken-S600 which would combine the best of the various version (early S600 purge style, best balance chamber and spring tension adjustment mechanic of the bunch, metal barrel). Does this make any sense at all or am I out of my mind?

Not out of your mind, but unless you already have the second stages and parts I would suggest going to a Balanced Adjustable or a G250 and eliminate all the silly monkey motion found in the s600. Not only will you have a top notch regulator, but you'll have access to parts that can be easily sourced for years to come. If you go with the s600, then you'll be stuck trying to find parts like the over complicated-model specific balance chamber and adjustment assembly of the s600. The G250 HP has the same issues. Even SP recognized this in a short lived moment of sanity when they went back to basics and developed the G250V.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom