Comparing S600 versions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oceancurrent

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
From what I can tell the S600 second stage has undergone a couple different design iterations. I am trying to understand the mechanical differences between them and the advantages/disadvantages of each design. To start with, here are a couple photos of a few representative variants of the second stage (there are more, of course, but these seem to be the main ones):
scubapromk25s600.jpg scubapro-mk17-s600.jpg s600-2013.jpg

The only schematics I was able to find were on Frogkick, but they only go back to 2004. I notice a couple differences between then 2001 and 2004 schematics. First, the mouthpiece retainer has changed to a side lock clamp. I am guessing that the sidelock clamp might be simpler to install and more reliable, but don't know if this is the case.

2001-a.png 2004-a.png

Second, the barrel seems to have gained a tab in 2004. I am curious about its function. Does anyone know what it does?
2001-b.png 2004-b.png

Finally, the most dramatic difference between the 2001 and 2004 model seems to be the balance chamber and spring adjustment knob assembly. This has undergone a cardinal redesign. I assume that the first design was very problematic and that required the overhaul. I wonder what the issues where and how the new design addresses them. Does anyone have an insight on this?
2001-c.png 2004-c.png

Perhaps there are more changes after 2004, but I can't find the schematics and bulletins to compare. If anyone has them, I will appreciate it if you could share.

It gained a metal air barrel. I'm pretty sure I have a more recent schematic/s, I'll look for it/them and message you. Hopefully DA will jump in at some point as he will know.

It gained a metal air barrel. I'm pretty sure I have a more recent schematic/s, I'll look for it/them and message you. Hopefully DA will jump in at some point as he will know.
I believe they had a plastic barrel for a short time, think they switched back to a metal barrel sometime before 2013. I'm sure many others know more and will speak up.

How many versions of the s600 are there now? Is there a way to know what year/version by looking at the other case? I have SEVERAL MK25/S600 but I am not sure of how old they are and would like to know.

How many versions of the s600 are there now? Is there a way to know what year/version by looking at the other case? I have SEVERAL MK25/S600 but I am not sure of how old they are and would like to know.
The S600 was introduced in 2001 with a "weight saving" molded polymer barrel. The 2011, 4th generation S600, was changed to a chrome-plated brass barrel. Of course, the titanium model has a titanium barrel :)

The S600 was introduced in 2001 with a "weight saving" molded polymer barrel. The 2011, 4th generation S600, was changed to a chrome-plated brass barrel. Of course, the titanium model has a titanium barrel :)

So you can't tell from the outside of the case?

So you can't tell from the outside of the case?
Hi @BurhanMuntasser

These are from the Scubapro regulator timeline. It seems easy to tell 1st and 2nd gen from 3rd and 4th, but I can not tell the difference between 3rd and 4th, when the change of barrel occurred.
upload_2017-7-1_20-38-25.png

upload_2017-7-1_20-38-53.png

upload_2017-7-1_20-39-16.png

upload_2017-7-1_20-39-43.png

The current S600 looks just the same

upload_2017-7-1_20-45-23.png

Good luck and good diving,

Craig

The first 2 digits of serial number are likely the manufactured year

The first 2 digits of serial number are likely the manufactured year
My S600 regulator is in FL, I'm in PA, or I would check, thanks. In fact, my other 5 Scubapro regulators are in Florida also. I'll take a look at them too.

Back
Top Bottom