Commercial diving in New England

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstudley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I looked around the board and some other places but couldn't find any useful information on this subject, maybe someone here can shed some light.

Are there any commercial diving schools in New England? The closest one I found was in New Jersey. The reason I ask is that I am interested in looking into career opportunities in the diving industry but I'm not really sure where to start.

I'm a diver, a software developer, ex UNIX admin and live in the Ocean State. I can't stand the cube that I live in right now, however I don't mind working with computers. Is there any fit for someone with my background in this industry? The only real requirement the job would have to have is not relocating.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-- Matt

v_1matst:
I looked around the board and some other places but couldn't find any useful information on this subject, maybe someone here can shed some light.

Are there any commercial diving schools in New England? The closest one I found was in New Jersey. The reason I ask is that I am interested in looking into career opportunities in the diving industry but I'm not really sure where to start.

I'm a diver, a software developer, ex UNIX admin and live in the Ocean State. I can't stand the cube that I live in right now, however I don't mind working with computers. Is there any fit for someone with my background in this industry? The only real requirement the job would have to have is not relocating.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-- Matt
i know what you mean ... my cube is killing me ...
all i do is sit all day and crunch #'s i see a lot of adds for schools in the back of my diving mags.

From what I heard, 80% of graduates of commercial diving schools end up on oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. That might be even worse than the cube.

Chebby:
From what I heard, 80% of graduates of commercial diving schools end up on oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. That might be even worse than the cube.
That's exactly what I -don't- want to do. I can't believe that living right on the coast there are no opportunities for a real job as a commercial diver without having to live on some elevated platform somewhere.

Chebby:

Where does the other 20% end up?

Probably doing mooring recovery or cutting line from inboard shafts. At least the 20% up here. SOunds better than what I do every day but I bet that would get old real fast too.

Jon

The ADCI (Association of Divign Contractors International) lists a new general member in NJ.

DONJON Marine Inc.
http://www.donjon.com

There is a lot of information on the ADCI site at;
http://www.ADC-INT.org

There is a lot of diving work on the coast and inland. Bridge inspections and repair, storm water systems, dams, power plants, water supply systems, the list goes on and on.

Thanks for the info and keep it coming. I already get 'Underwater' magazine so I am familiar with ADCI I just haven't seen anything having to do with RI/MA/CT (preferably RI).

I'll have to check out their site though since they have that member database.

Maybe Electric Boat uses divers, actually I have to be pretty sure they do at times. As far as schools go that one I don't know about. One of my Associate's Husbands is a commercial Diver on Oil Rigs and he has told me the pay is fairly low and the conditions even lower. On the plus size I here rumors the Scallops are the size of dinner plates out around these rigs. Do what I do to eliminate the cube syndome post on the Scubaboard. I think the truth of the matter is it would be tough to make a real good living diving. It would be a great life no doubt but what would you do for fun, work on a computer?

OK I just found this link.....see there are jobs and maybe they have OJT.

http://www.gdeb.com/news/ebnews/ebnews0503.pdf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom