Wetsuit Thickness for New England

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigMooseWarning

Moose Fish
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
Hey guys, currently looking for some advice on wetsuit thickness! I am a new diver and previously I have only been diving in the Caribbean and Southern California. I live in New London and would like to be able to experience local diving. Does anyone dive in this area and if so what wetsuit thickness would work most of the year? Any advice is welcome! Also I am looking for a dive buddy or buddies so if anyone lives locally please feel free to reach out via PM.

My guess is 7 mil is what you need. Maybe even a farmer john and a step in so you have 14 mil on your chest.

Consider a dry-suit.

Currently I am not certified for a dry suit but that is something I am looking at down the road. I need to get certified and then be able to afford one lol.

Also a follow up question is because I am a “big guy” 6’3” with a beer belly I am looking for a custom wetsuit. Who’s making good quality stuff nowadays?

7 mil in peak of Summer, dry suit for the rest of the time. Also depends on how deep you are diving. This from someone who owns every thickness of wetsuit possible and will soon be ordering a dry suit. Stay warm, don't get bent.

Order a Seaskin, be honest with the measurements and you’ll be good to go. Take the class while waiting for the suit, let the shop supply you with a suit and you’ll be even happier when your custom suit arrives.

Dry suit is probably the answer. But find potential buddies and see what they use. If they’re dry and you’re wet, they’ll want to go places that are too cold for you. At that point, you can’t be a good buddy.

I’m in RI. I dive 5 mm mid summer, 7 mm shoulder and Caribbean in the winter, 😂. Now, I also dive a 5 mm in the Caribbean if I’m doing a lot of dives, so personal temperature tolerance comes into play.
Anything north of the Cape and it’s colder. Most folks dive dry up that way, many folks dive dry down here.
If you’re looking for May to October ocean diving, rent a 7 mm next season and see how you do. If you’re looking to go beyond, or you want to do fresh water, invest in a good dry suit.

Erik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom