Coming Soon – PADI® Certification Cards Transition to PADI eCards™

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder how the transition to e-cards is working out for PADI now that their site (and presumably servers) appear to have been destroyed, potentially by some sort of ransom ware or other attack.

I wonder how the transition to e-cards is working out for PADI now that their site (and presumably servers) appear to have been destroyed, potentially by some sort of ransom ware or other attack.
Do you attach -- without ANY evidence -- conspiracy theories to everything?
Great quote: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." PADI has never had a brilliant web presence, with clunky interfaces having been the norm since their first attempts. It's probably just caught up with them.

The answer to your question is no. The reason for my supposition is that any at all large organizations should have mirrors and backups of their websites and data. There is no way a large organization that provides professional and recreational certification and relies entirely on online services should have been down for nearly 2 weeks without a catastrophic event. Add to that a massive influx of ransom ware attacks (I have two friends who run businesses who are currently dealing with them) and discounting the likelihood of such an event is a bit naïve.

that any at all large organizations should have mirrors and backups of their websites and data. There is no way a large organization that provides professional and recreational certification and relies entirely on online services should have been down for nearly 2 weeks without a catastrophic event
While I don't discount the possibility of a ransomware or other malicious event, as an "IT professional", I will let you in on an insider secret -- please keep this to yourself.

There is a vast distance between
should have mirrors and backups of their websites and data
and
actually have usable backups of their websites and data and procedures to successfully restore data and [re]configure [replacement] hardware to produce a functional system

Sort of like the difference between instructional standards in SCUBA and what a newly-minted open water diver really knows and can do competently.

Back
Top Bottom