Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True enough (PADI can be sloppy at times). But if I wasn't confused by one dive vs. the whole Specialty, it HAS to be fairly clear.....
This is the first time in 18 years of reading these threads that I can remember seeing that confusion.

That instructor, and you, should not use "specialties" without some explanations.
The AOW includes NO full specialties, but it does include the first dive of five different specialties. If you did a full specialty, it would be anywhere from 2 to 4 dives total to complete. That first dive is called an Adventure Dive, and you need five of them. It is like a sampler course. Deep and Navigation are required for AOW, no choice, one dive each. You get three more electives, like Wreck, Night, Buoyancy, etc. You choose these in advance in consultation with your instructor, who (for logistical reasons) may not be able to offer all of them. There are about 26 topics to choose from; see Advanced Open Water Diver | PADI, where it says under FAQ:
These specialty dives are available almost anywhere:
  • Deep (required)
  • Fish Identification
  • Night
  • Peak Performance Buoyancy
  • Digital Underwater Imaging
  • Rescue
  • Search & Recovery
  • Underwater Naturalist
  • Underwater Navigation (required)
The specialty dives below may not be available in all locations. If you see something that interests you, contact your instructor or dive shop to confirm availability.
  • Adaptive Support
  • Altitude
  • Boat
  • Cavern
  • Delayed Surface Marker Buoy (DSMB)
  • Dive Against Debris
  • Diver Propulsion Vehicle (DPV)
  • Drift
  • Dry Suit
  • Enriched Air
  • Full Face Mask
  • Ice
  • Rebreather
  • Self-Reliant diving
  • Shark Conservation
  • Sidemount
  • Wreck

Thanks for this. I was debating doing my AOW but was confused with all the specialty language.

It seems like PADI is just trying to divide up the courses to make more money. A boat specialty...seriously? My 3rd and 4th OW dives were off a boat. Figured it out pretty quickly. Drift specialty??? I think my fifth dive was in Cozumel. Get in water (off a boat) and just go with the flow. You are now certified in both.

It seems like PADI is just trying to divide up the courses to make more money. A boat specialty...seriously? My 3rd and 4th OW dives were off a boat. Figured it out pretty quickly. Drift specialty??? I think my fifth dive was in Cozumel. Get in water (off a boat) and just go with the flow. You are now certified in both.
If people already know (or think they know) some subject, then they certainly don't need a course in it. Some folks have never been on a boat; terms like port, starboard, and head are meaningless, reminders to stow your gear and how best to do it are useful; and which side to barf from are kind of important, not just to you but to others. Some folks think drifting along lazily with someone else dragging the flag and deploying the DSMB at the end is all they need to know for a drift dive. It is a shame that a passing acquaintance with some topic can make some feel like they are now experts in it.

If people already know (or think they know) some subject, then they certainly don't need a course in it. Some folks have never been on a boat; terms like port, starboard, and head are meaningless, reminders to stow your gear and how best to do it are useful; and which side to barf from are kind of important, not just to you but to others. Some folks think drifting along lazily with someone else dragging the flag and deploying the DSMB at the end is all they need to know for a drift dive. It is a shame that a passing acquaintance with some topic can make some feel like they are now experts in it.
Every dive boat I've been on, the crews pretty much clue you in on what's what i.e, where to puke, pee and how/where to get off and on the boat. You figure it out pretty quickly and if not you can ask. Basically 10 minutes of orientation. Don't really think you need a $129 E-class with added dive and instructor fees. Can you say "money grubbing?" As for drift diving, if you can dive, you can drift. Unless of course you are a complete moron, in which case you probably didn't pass your OW class.

Every dive boat I've been on, the crews pretty much clue you in on what's what. You figure it out pretty quickly and if not you can ask. Basically 10 minutes of orientation. Don't really think you need a $129 E-class with added dive and instructor fees. Can you say "money grubbing?" As for drift diving, if you can dive, you can drift. Unless of course you are a complete moron, in which case you probably didn't pass your OW class.
How do you ask a question about something you do not know exists?
I get it: you hate PADI, you hate classes. You are too smart to ever need instruction on anything. Got it.

How do you ask a question about something you do not know exists?
I get it: you hate PADI, you hate classes. You are too smart to ever need instruction on anything. Got it.

My point is that just because PADI offers a class you don't necessarily need it to dive successfully. Some of their classes are of dubious value. However, if one has the money and feels the need to collect certifications by all means feel free do it.

And for the record, I don't hate PADI I hate wasting money on stuff you I don't need YMMV.

And I apologize for bringing it up. Let's move on.

My point is that just because PADI offers a class you don't necessarily need it to dive successfully. Some of their classes are of dubious value. However, if one has the money and feels the need to collect certifications by all means feel free do it.

And for the record, I don't hate PADI I hate wasting money on stuff you don't need..
You assume you don't need it, Drift for example. Do you know what is in the class? It is more than drifting along....ut how do you know that you don't need the info? Because you drifted along in Cozumel? did you drag the flag? Did you shoot a DSMB? Did you try and stay with your buddy by hiding behind coral heads?

Your position is clear; you feel that taking a class is collecting certifications.
Other feel that taking a class provides them with the knowledge to be a better and safer diver.

You assume you don't need it, Drift for example. Do you know what is in the class? It is more than drifting along....ut how do you know that you don't need the info? Because you drifted along in Cozumel? did you drag the flag? Did you shoot a DSMB? Did you try and stay with your buddy by hiding behind coral heads?

Your position is clear; you feel that taking a class is collecting certifications.
Other feel that taking a class provides them with the knowledge to be a better and safer diver.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.

I think there is something to be said for both sides of this discussion. I think it does depend on each diver's situation. I, for example, spent a lot of my childhood & older years on a sailboat doing all sorts of boat stuff. I found my first dives from a charter easy to do. Of course I had to tackle going down the anchor line, entering & exiting correctly and some other aspects I hadn't done before. But I never felt the need to take the Boat Diver course. There is always something you can get from any course that you didn't know before, but is it worth the time and money?

Back
Top Bottom