Coming back to scuba, need equipment advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarryTX......I also returned after many years off and wow! Things have come so far! I upgraded to a Scubapro BC, Scubapro MK25/S600 Reg...(after realizing how much easier the new regulators breath than my OLD one), Galileo Sol, Atomic fins.......And a refresher class, Nitrox cert and couldn't be happier! Hope your return is as much fun....

I'm not so sure things have come that far with dive gear. Certainly the marketing aspect has! Regulators in particular are simply not that much better, and in many cases are worse. Wetsuits are better, that's almost certainly true. Computers are good things to use IMO, so that's quite an improvement. BCs have undergone quite an evolution (you probably dove with no BC in the early 70s) but IMO the typical modern jacket style BC is terrible for diving; more like a life jacket with cambands, designed to keep OW students floating like a cork on the surface, and of course to feel nice and comfy in the dive shop wearing street clothes.

Getting back to the regulator, if you're really serious about prioritizing underwater photography, consider using a reg from your old era (sort of), a USD doublehose reg modified with a phoenix nozzle. It won't be cheap, but there's no doubt that having the exhaust bubbles behind your head will make a huge difference for photography. The work of breathing is higher with doublehose regs than with the best current singlehose regs, and is somewhat position sensitive, but there are other advantages and it's worth looking at. Check out either the vintage diving forum here on SB or go to vintagedoublehose.com for more info.

As far as the BC goes, a backplate and wing is far superior to a standard BC IMO, and in the nearly universal opinion of those who have tried both. There is so much information and discussion about this on SB that if you were to read it all you might not have any time left for diving.

There are lots of people in Houston that can help you. Couv lives there and is a very knowledgeable helpful kind of guy, so you might send him a PM. He knows ALOT about regulators.

I've still got my bcd from Mares in perfect working condition after 14 years since a bought them.
Also my regs ( Mares ) are in good condition after these 14 years. ( Every year they gett a service check ).

So these are one of the more expensive materials to buy, but they could last a lifetime.

greetz

Barry: I'm in the same boat you are. Got certified in 1974. You could have any choice of gear color you wanted as long as it was rubber, and black. BC? What's a BC-didn't even have them back them, all we had was basically a MAE West. Still have my rocket fins though! Still make them, still stiff as a board. Anyway, seems huge strides have been made in equipment, lightweight regs, BCs, etc. I checked out lots of different forums and talked to various divers. Ended up making a couple of mistakes, but didn't cost me much and the experience was worth more than a few bucks. Our local dive shop here Bill Jacksons uses nothing but top quality gear, and as a result, I got to try it out before I bought.

I was NAUI in '77. Very old school. I would retake the

For regulators, I would personally tend to look at Scubapro, Apeks (part of Aqualung/USD) and Atomic (owners used to be with Scubapro). For a BC/backpack, I would do a plate and wings. Either DSS or Oxycheq (there are other solid choices as well -- Halcyon comes to mind). If you want the jacket style BC, I would look at the Mares, Scubapro or Seaquest (part aqualung/usd). I would use a standard octo and not some sort of air2 device. Standard now is also to carry a whistle and/or dive alert and a safety sausage. (BTW, none of this is to suggest that other brands are bad)

Personally, I would do a hoseless air integrated computer (wrist mount) for photography. There are tons of good computer choices (I am very happy with my Suunto Cobra, FWIW)

Tons of great choices in mask, fins, snorkel and exposure suits.

Well, Since I was born in 1973 and I don't remember much from then(J/K). I would recommend taking the full Open water course. Maybe ask for a sit through of the o/w class portion as a refresher. Since you already are certified. and dont need to prove you are capable of diving.

15 years ago I looked into getting certified so I first read the manuals and watched the videos. I didnt get certified until last month. The month prior to my certification I bought the new manual and dvd and read and watched them and there were a lot of changes from the old videos and manuals. Maybe it was just a better explanation of the same information. But for me was different and easier to understand (maybe just the wisdom that comes with age).

1st. Make a list of items needed.
2nd. Research the Makes and models of equipment that have piqued your interest. Find different manufacturers and models that fit the bill for each item.
3rd. Organize them by the type of equipment and then search for equipment and see what fits together. You dont have to be "The Cute Guy" by walking into the first store you see with your credit card glued to your forehead buying the cool looking solo branded geared up mannequin.
If you are interested in previously purchased items(used) then first check here on the boards and on your local Craigslist. I have been extremely lucky picking up equipment lately.(Unfortunately the economy is causing a sell off of underutilized items. Myself included)

Last edited:
Great comments and info, and thanks to all for the warm welcome. My desire is to get a decent underwater camera rig and my love is tropical diving. The bug bit me over the last few years snorkeling off of Maui, Lanaii, Hawaii, and Kauaii. I managed to get a few decent shots while holding my breath (how about that avatar? :) ) with my low budget Sony digital camera, red filter, and waterproof case, but having to surface to breathe doesn't give you much time for the sealife to participate.

Having said that, I now live in the Houston area, so the local diving won't compare I'm sure, but I know there are fresh water dive spots as well as the platforms in the Gulf of Mexico. I guess airplanes were invented to get you to the tropics anyway. I imagine starting with good basics - mask, fins/booties , snorkle - and then my questions start. I would plan to begin with rentals, but it wise to own my own regulator? BC?

Again, many thanks for the warm reception and help.

Preparing for a dive trip to Hawaii can definitely be different from planning a trip to dive in the Gulf. Your options for gear still range from:

Thermal protection : I would ask the local divers what they wear to stay warm. Quarries and fresh water springs (at least the ones I have dove in) tend to be cold especially the deeper you go. A thick wet suit or a nice dry suit would be in order. I like Pinnacle wet suits because of their tremendous maneuverability and comfort. I like DUI for dry suits, although I have seen several people post positive comments about the Fusion drysuit.

BC/BCD : That kind of depends on the type of diving you wish to do with regard to recreational diving or technical or deeper diving. A jacket style BC is functional for rec diving. I used mine on a recent trip to Cozumel and it worked just fine. Mattboy has made some valid points about the style and it does have its limitations, as does most every system. Technical divers prefer a backplate and wings setup (BP/W). I have noticed a difference in maintaining my trim when I use it. It is simple, streamlined, and allows for the addition of other pieces of gear such a cannister lights and additional tanks. I have used both styles with good success.

Regs : I am no expert when it comes to regs and I would suggest talking to Mattboy, Couv, DA Aquamaster, or some of the others that routinely post in the regulator section. I have learned a great deal about how a reg works from the inside out and about how one reg compares to another from reading their posts. They are extremely knowledgeable. I personally use Apeks regs and they breathe beautifully for me. I have no regrets about them and they have worked well in cold and warm water. Again, I would seek the counsel of the above individuals for advice on a range of regs beyond the ones I use.

Housings : I have a Sony alpha 700 and use an Ikelite housing with it. I am not sure if another company makes a housing for it. The housing is made from clear carbonite I believe. It has worked well in the brief time I have used it. Others have complained that the material the housing is made out of scratches easily (which it did for me) and is not as durable as other housings. If you have a camera that you use then you may be limited to the companies that will make a housing for it. Otherwise, you may find a company that makes a great housing and find a camera that you like that will match the company's housing. The folks in the photography section are very helpful for things like this.

I also like the air integrated computers that are out there as well. Especially my HUD datamask. It's great for taking pictures because all of the info you need is there at a glance. I used it in Cozumel and LOVED it. I was worth the investment especially when you need both hands to balance a camera rig in the water.

Sounds as if you have the bug to get back in the water and enjoy diving once again. Hopefully this helps and I am sure the seasoned folks here will chime in with pearls of wisdom as well.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for the welcome back and great feedback. I decided to do the full OW course again - PADI this time as that was neares to me. They did not require me to do the checkout dives since certification never expires but I am glad I did the full classroom and pool sessions. I really enjoyed going back through the dive tables again after many years.
Equipment seems better and there are differences in what is taught today. And why the heck wasn't there an alternate air source in '73?? Much better than buddy breathing, and definitely worth the cost to have one if a bad situation occurs! The BC is obviously much different than the Mae West that I learned with.

I ended up picking up Aqua Lung Flex 2 fins - and they aren't black! I just couldn't get my mind around the split fins (although I certainly see high ratings on the Atomics by those that use them) plus the Flex 2s were on sale. Next up, finding a spot to get wet and breathe below the surface again!

Thanks again to all!

BarryTX: Wise decision to retake the whole course. That's what I did, and although some things haven't changed others did. All I had was the Navy Tables, and we had to learn how to do decom diving. Our 'alternate" air source was the J valve reserve on our tanks, or our buddy. Now we have computers, different BCs and all kinds of other stuff to make diving safer and more comfortable. I'm sure a lot of stuff you studied then came right back, but I'm always willing to learn from anyone who is willing to teach me. Every time I dive, I invariably learn some technique or good idea from another more experienced diver.

Back
Top Bottom