Coming back to scuba, need equipment advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarryTX

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I was scuba certified (NAUI) back in 1973. I haven't dove with tanks for many years, but continued snorkeling, often with rented equipment on vacation. Now I'm interested in coming back to scuba to get better at underwater photography. I would like to hear which manufacturers are recommended to look at nowadays for good, quality equipment. Any other thoughts also appreciated. By the way, I will be taking at least take a refresher course before I strap on tanks again.

there are so many good manufacures that make good qualily equipment. i have apeks regs which were fairly cheap but i realy like them, they are really easy breathing and light which is good as i like to travel. my computer is a sunnto gekko which i love!!! my spg is also sunnto!!
it would be a good idea to go to your local dive shop and discuss your options there, they will take the time to recommend equippment that will suit the style of diving you are doing and how often you will be using it etc!!
good luck with it all anyway!

Hi,

I was scuba certified (NAUI) back in 1973. I haven't dove with tanks for many years, but continued snorkeling, often with rented equipment on vacation. Now I'm interested in coming back to scuba to get better at underwater photography. I would like to hear which manufacturers are recommended to look at nowadays for good, quality equipment. Any other thoughts also appreciated. By the way, I will be taking at least take a refresher course before I strap on tanks again.

go to a couple of dive shops, see what packages they have and ask lots of questions. Favorite brands vary by location. East coasters, West coasters, mid-west muck divers.... they all have different "best".

I started buying my dive gear as soon as I got certified, back in 2000, along with my hubby and daughter. We each got BCs (me Seaquest diva as I am a small woman), daughter an Aqualung junior, and hubby got a Seaquest ProQD. Then we all got regulators, he got Scubapro, I got Aqualung. After a year he got an Atomic, gave me the Scubapro, and I gave my Aqualung to daughter. Now hubby and I both have newer Seaquest back inflate BCs, and both use Aqualung Legend regulators and daugther uses the Atomic, and we all have Suunto computers. He is now an instructor with dive shop so we get good deals on gear and are able to upgrade often. But the fact is, the BCs we originally bought are still in perfect working condition and we loan them out when needed. Getting good products means they LAST. Taking good care of what you buy means they LAST. We get our gear serviced annually and it still looks and acts like new.
Seriously, get good gear, the best you can afford, and take good care of it. :D

Thanks for the responses. One thing I see is that there are many different choices, so I'd like to cull out any brands that are sub-par and focus on good companies. My intent is to get lots of input at the dive shops and on this board, then buy with an intent of getting stuff that will last. I appreciate the comments very much, any others will be similarly appreciated as I go through the learning curve again.

Welcome back Barry, you'll find many changes in the last 30 plus years, and a few familiar names, with better products. There are fewer divers, students and instructors than in the '70s and more dive shops. There are shops closing faster than before, and a very few shops that were open when you started. . . try to support any shops you used before.

The basic design of regulators is still the same, small changes to old designs make regulators lighter in weight, and easier breathing. "Plastic" second stages make the regulator more comfortable in your mouth. If you have an "old" Scubapro, or US Divers regulator, there are parts available to bring it back into use. Sportsways, Dacor, and Nemrod have all gone out of business, and Dacor is back in business with some good stuff, but no parts to repair the old stuff.

Taking a refresher course is a good idea, those little CO2 vests are now complex "Buoyancy Compensators" Any new diver you meet will rant about the "life saving" virtues of their favorite, anywhere on your gear, you inflate a bubble will float. That's not an accepted idea, and if your Naui course was like my YMCA/Naui course. . . safety was in the diver, not the equipment. Fins are no longer fins, but engineering marvels, they all work, some just look strange, My 1968 Scubapro Jet Fins (alright the third pair) still work well. Other gear is shiny and new, but no big deal. . . welcome back and share your photos here in the Photo Gallery.

Thanks for the responses. One thing I see is that there are many different choices, so I'd like to cull out any brands that are sub-par and focus on good companies. My intent is to get lots of input at the dive shops and on this board, then buy with an intent of getting stuff that will last. I appreciate the comments very much, any others will be similarly appreciated as I go through the learning curve again.

Since you are asking for specific brands:
look at: ScubaPro, Zeagle, Aqualung, Seaquest, Atomic (for regs and BCs)
for computers: look at Suunto (a bit more expensive but nice and conservative and lots of added features)

For wetsuits: you gotta try them on, don't buy online until you find the perfect suit at a dive shop, then feel free to buy online the same size from the same manufacturer. Different manufacturer's have different patterns and materials. I wear a different size in Henderson, Akona, and Pinnacle. Aqualung suits don't fit me at all! Very weird cut to me.
Same goes for masks: gotta try on at least a dozen.
Fins: lots and lots of styles out there, blades vs splits. Stay away from the cheapo snorkeling fins, they are useless.

Just my 2 cents.
robin:D

Welcome back Barry!! The world of diving is a great as you remember it I am sure. I was 6 years old when you were certified :D. I suppose my initial question would be to ask what kind of diving are you interested in. This may determine what kinds of equipment are best suited to fit your needs. If you are considering more tropical diving then a reasonably thin wet suit would be helpful. If you are going to be diving in cold lakes, quarries, or oceans then you might consider a dry suit. There are multiple low volume masks on the market now. Fins and booties selection would be influenced by the type of diving you are planning on doing as well. Are you going to rent tanks or purchase them? How about regs? Cold water or warm water? Is there a budget you are trying to stay within? You mentioned underwater photography. I recently started that hobby myself and went with an Ikelite housing that I like, but that would depend on the camera you are using, and if Ikelite makes a housing for it.

I realize I am not directly answering your question but having a better idea as to the type of diving you are interested in doing as well as the budget you are sticking to would help me give a more lucid response.

Great comments and info, and thanks to all for the warm welcome. My desire is to get a decent underwater camera rig and my love is tropical diving. The bug bit me over the last few years snorkeling off of Maui, Lanaii, Hawaii, and Kauaii. I managed to get a few decent shots while holding my breath (how about that avatar? :) ) with my low budget Sony digital camera, red filter, and waterproof case, but having to surface to breathe doesn't give you much time for the sealife to participate.

Having said that, I now live in the Houston area, so the local diving won't compare I'm sure, but I know there are fresh water dive spots as well as the platforms in the Gulf of Mexico. I guess airplanes were invented to get you to the tropics anyway. I imagine starting with good basics - mask, fins/booties , snorkle - and then my questions start. I would plan to begin with rentals, but it wise to own my own regulator? BC?

Again, many thanks for the warm reception and help.

(1) The gear is a lot better than when you left.

(2) Leisurepro is your friend. Even if you don't buy from them, they have a huge number of equipment reviews that can help you make decisions and compare prices.

Greetings BarryTX and it is great to hear of your return to the diving world. You are on the right track and research well before you buy anything. I like to try before I buy if it is possible. It might be a good idea to seek out a good instructor for the refresher and seek his guidance for gear. He will have a good idea what your local conditions require as well as a inside scoop on LDS in your area. One thing about gear in the 70's the back plate and wing is still going strong, with some improvements of coarse but basically the same. There is so much great gear out there it really depends on your area and what type of diving you are planning to do. Personally for photography I like a clean front BC with d-rings for attaching cameras, etc. It really is a matter of personal preference.
Scuba board is a awesome place for research and help to look for gear. There are some killer deals out there on used gear but be very careful. I have purchased gear here on SB and a little off ebay. Most of my gear comes from my LDS. I have found it is just easier to let them order most of it. IF a deal looks to good to be true it probably is, PayPal is the way to go. If you have a problem it is worth it to have used PayPal.
Again welcome and get diving my friend the water is great. Good luck and keep us posted.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom