Combined BC Control/Octo & Buddy Breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there is no reason that a pony bottle should be used as an emergency gas supply . . . as a matter of fact if you plan your dive and dive your plan there should be no need for a spare air, pony bottle or any type of buddy breathing . . .

I would agree with the exception of the unforeseen. For instance, the OOA diver I had to rescue was not my buddy therefore the dive plan had nothing to do with the situation.

I am sorry it was such a bad idea for you, I find it works quite well for me, and much prefer it to 7ft wrapped all around me and bungied octo around my neck in my diving.
"wrapped all around me" means a single loop that can be removed in a split second, correct?

Understood that not all divers plan the dive and dive the plan . . . I don't always plan dives and dive plans . . . thus I admit I carry a slung pony when I dive single tank . . . that is way easier to hand off to a diver than a 4,5,6,7 or 25ft primary hose . . .

I am sorry it was such a bad idea for you, I find it works quite well for me, and much prefer it to 7ft wrapped all around me and bungied octo around my neck in my diving.

7 foot wrapped all around who? You have no clue.. really.

Again, there is not one credible shred of evidence to show that the long hose and necklace backup is a bad idea.

NOT ONE! :)

Sometimes you don't have to try something to know it's a bad idea. But in the case of the 7' hose, trying it for a while is wise before commenting on it (not saying you haven't NadMat, just making a general comment).

Like Onespeed, I too was wrong. The first set-up I used (1971) was a single first & second stage, no octo, and we trained to buddy breath off the one reg (I even trained that way with a double hose in the pool). The second set up I had was an Air2 - like what the OP has (20 years later). Then I switched to a standard octo - a crappy second stage to hand off. Used that for a while, and then moved to the 7' hose with bungeed octo. Having trained, dived with and used all four different configurations, I was able to determine which I felt was superior. Because, how could I comment on what I have no real experience with (oh, that's right! This is the internet...)?

So, if you prefer one set-up over another, please tell us which ones you have dived with.

Thanks.

I'd be interested to hear what the "drawback" is to an octo? And please do not cite the "extra hose" because that is not an issue.

And for what it's worth, I did dive an inflator/alternate air source until I realized what a truly bad idea it was.

"Quote:
Originally Posted by NadMat View Post
I am sorry it was such a bad idea for you, I find it works quite well for me, and much prefer it to 7ft wrapped all around me and bungied octo around my neck in my diving."

I used to feel the same way you do, fortunately I was able to admit I was wrong.

7 foot wrapped all around who? You have no clue.. really.

Again, there is not one credible shred of evidence to show that the long hose and necklace backup is a bad idea.

First, who said it was a bad idea - I certainly didn't? I just don't happen to prefer such a setup - simple as that.

And, yes, one of the drawbacks of it FOR ME is the extra hose. I don't like it. You, clearly, do. Fair play to you!

Pretty obnoxious though to assume that you know what's best for me or OP. It works for what I do, where I do it and who I'm doing it with.

... there is not one credible shred of evidence to show that the long hose and necklace backup is a bad idea.
On cattle boats a 7' hose can be a real PITA. You must be diligent to keep the second stage clipped off or sooner or later someone will knock it to the deck and someone else will walk on it. Ashore, it's also prone to end up in the sand from time to time, no matter how careful you are with it.
I dive a 7' hose & bungeed second for caves & wreck penetration. Sometimes I dive a 7' hose in open water; I dive a standard hose and bungeed second in open water sometimes... and on vacation in the tropics I usually use a standard hose and Air Source. Sometimes... sometimes, when it's warm enough, and with the right buddy, I dive a 72 with a single hose Conshelf, no second, no SPG, no computer & no BC :)
That's my preference & I'm stickin' with it.
--
I instruct OW with a standard hose & Air Source 'cause that's what the shop owner desires.
Rick

sometimes I dive nekkid too . . .

First, who said it was a bad idea - I certainly didn't? I just don't happen to prefer such a setup - simple as that.

And, yes, one of the drawbacks of it FOR ME is the extra hose. I don't like it. You, clearly, do. Fair play to you!

Pretty obnoxious though to assume that you know what's best for me or OP. It works for what I do, where I do it and who I'm doing it with.

If your profile is correct, with less than 25 dives I seriously doubt you should be preaching to divers with many, many years of experience. As Rick Inman stated, I too have tried both set ups therefore I can make an educated statement about which set up is best. I believe I have more than backed up all of my statements in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom