Combined BC Control/Octo & Buddy Breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The simple standard setup is a proven system. For the average diver that dives for rec between 20-50 dives a year, there is no real reason not having the normal set up. As a warm water reef fish diver personally, I have never been bother by the second hose, and honestly I do not even notice it unless the wife and I practice the shear air source drill. I had a o-ring fail, and my wifes octo was what I used, no issues, we took it nice an easy getting back to the surface. Yes the octo is nothing fancy, but it works.

It is an investment to get an airII system. Lucky for me my dive instructor had one lying around, and show me how to use it and show me the problems with it. The airII is of kinda techno cool looking thing, but it just added to many complications. Personally I would spend the money of an airII on something else, maybe a more expensive reg or something more useful.

I understand the reason for the long 7ft hose, but for the average rec diver 20-50 dives a year it may be a bit of an overkill. For those that are lucky enough to be a fish on a regular bases, the advantages is multiply for the long hose. The chance of something happening is greatly increased.

That is JMTC

You're really that daft? :lotsalove:

It's awesome how helpful you guys are! Bludgeon people with your opinions and gang-rape anyone who dare have a thought that doesn't align with yours.

See, Onespeed, that's what the quote was about. Sorry it was totally lost on you.

You have not been gang raped or bludgeoned, please stop squealing as though you have.

Your beliefs have been challenged and you can't support them. That stings a bit, but if you can get past that, you might find some real nuggets of wisdom in what people have been telling you.

You're really that daft? :lotsalove:

It's awesome how helpful you guys are! Bludgeon people with your opinions and gang-rape anyone who dare have a thought that doesn't align with yours.

See, Onespeed, that's what the quote was about. Sorry it was totally lost on you.

My response was called sarcasm, obviously it was lost on you if you truly believe I thought you were getting your dive advice from Rush. This would explain the air source choice though. Disclaimer: That was sarcasm too.

Being in Ontario and planning to do some wreck (not penetration) dives that will be in the 100+ foot range in cold water, I think a pony is the way to go (I feel more cofortable with a redundanct air source due to concerns with free flows diving deep in cold water). I will add a long hose on the pony so that I can hand off the pony secondary and get out of the way in an OOA emergency and I will necklace the second stage for the pony around my neck. I will probably keep the AirII on the BCD as a last line of defense. (i.e. I will have 3 second stages to choose from). If I go south I will move the long hose and secondary from the pony to my Primary first stage (i.e. put it in the dry suit port and remove the dry suit hose). Sound reasonable.

I had no idea I would get so many strong opinions.

Thanks

Now I would love to see a tank explode . . .

B I will add a long hose on the pony so that I can hand off the pony secondary and get out of the way in an OOA emergency and I will necklace the second stage for the pony around my neck.

You would be better served by foregoing the long hose for the pony. If you need to share air, just pass the pony. But..... If you bungy the second from the pony, how will you donate it? You would have to donate your primary, remove the bungeed second and then pass it off before retaking your primary.

I think you need to give this config a little more thought. When you are done looking at all options, I think the long hose will make more sense. Adding a pony is optional.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom