Combined BC Control/Octo & Buddy Breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow - much hate for the inflater / octo combo! I've got a Zeagle Octo-Z and love it. With a wireless transmitter for pressure readings on my VT3 I've got only two hoses from my first stage - one to the Octo-Z and the other to my primary. Very streamlined, very simple.

Great that you're practicing with this set up of yours prior to actually needing it! I've found that donating my primary and using the Octo-Z is easy and haven't had the issues you have w/ venting on the way up. It does take a bit of getting used to - but then again so does just grabbing a standard inflater and pushing the right button. Either way you're going to want to practice because even though you KNOW Stop, Breathe, Think, Act when it comes right down to it you want to be very comfortable with your gear.

I took Rescue this last weekend and the instructor used and Air2 inflater / octo. Prior to going through the pool work we talked about how we'd share air regarding the drills. This is the same conversation I'd have on a boat getting buddied up w/ someone. Letting them know I'll donate my primary and use my inflater/octo. As an aside I find it much easier to use if I release the velcro strap that holds it to my left chest strap.

I'd avoid breathing the bladder air as well, but in an emergency you may have to. Keep practicing and if it turns out you don't get the hang of it then consider switching to a standard octo. There are benefits and drawbacks to each. Consider all your options and make the choice that's best for YOU and the way YOU dive.

I'd avoid breathing the bladder air as well, but in an emergency you may have to. Keep practicing and if it turns out you don't get the hang of it then consider switching to a standard octo. There are benefits and drawbacks to each. Consider all your options and make the choice that's best for YOU and the way YOU dive.

I'd be interested to hear what the "drawback" is to an octo? And please do not cite the "extra hose" because that is not an issue.

And for what it's worth, I did dive an inflator/alternate air source until I realized what a truly bad idea it was.

I am sorry it was such a bad idea for you, I find it works quite well for me, and much prefer it to 7ft wrapped all around me and bungied octo around my neck in my diving.

I try it once, and found that the length of the hose to the alternate air source/inflater are a bit short, and it restrict movements. I also noticed the same problems you described. I notice bladder air flowing into the air source/inflater as I vented. No matter how you look at it, the inflater gives you more control over the dump valve base on the design of the dump valve vs. the inflater.

I am all for the octo, it is proven system. the alternate air source just not for me, too many issues. And in an emergency, it adds more steps and makes it more complicated. Which is not what you want in an emergency. If your buddy goes for your primary then you have control, but if you buddy grabs you alternate air, you lose your inflater control. go with the KISS for emergency.

My dive instructor always has an octo, plus a pony bottle with a bungee necklace holding the pony reg when he went open water diving. No gimmicks, octos just simply work better.

I am sorry it was such a bad idea for you, I find it works quite well for me, and much prefer it to 7ft wrapped all around me and bungied octo around my neck in my diving.

I used to feel the same way you do, fortunately I was able to admit I was wrong. Not long after I made the switch to a 7' primary and bunjeed octo I was approached by an extremely panicked OOA diver and I can honestly say that the 7' hose made all the difference in the world in controlling him. It was a very bad situation that would have been complicated exponentially by an alternate air source/inflator combo. I never thought it would happen to me but guess what? It did, and thankfully I had the proper equipment to get us both back to the boat safely.

Diving with a spare air solves everything . . .

Diving with a spare air solves everything . . .

Yes it does, pony bottles are great. They will get you out of most situations safely, but you really can not bring them on vacation with you really. If an emergency comes up on a vacation dive, the KISS rule make is easier again

Yes it does, pony bottles are great. They will get you out of most situations safely, but you really can not bring them on vacation with you really. If an emergency comes up on a vacation dive, the KISS rule make is easier again

there is no reason that a pony bottle should be used as an emergency gas supply . . . as a matter of fact if you plan your dive and dive your plan there should be no need for a spare air, pony bottle or any type of buddy breathing . . .

there is no reason that a pony bottle should be used as an emergency gas supply . . . as a matter of fact if you plan your dive and dive your plan there should be no need for a spare air, pony bottle or any type of buddy breathing . . .

I totally agree with you. proper dive planning is key. Pony bottles is for emergencies like unforeseen o-ring failures. It just added insurance. My spare air is my wifes octo that is what we always plan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom