Cold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I was starting to get chilled during the deco I would likely extend the 20ft stop (how much depending on the situation), however you need to keep in mind the point of diminishing returns where extending your deco just makes you lose more core body temp, therefore requiring more deco.

Yeah problem is that mental capacity is one of the first things to go with hypothermia.

Oh, and I started a dive in Monterey in 54F with my drysuit open (I knew the zipper was leaking so I didn't thin to abort the dive)

90 min RT, and I was cursing my 400s for not keeping me warm with a "slightly leaking zipper" (I actually was full almost to the waist)

Did the normal schedule, but had to wear gf's "Yoga pants" on shore :)

:worthless:

Ever had a flood? I can get substantially chilled via just a flooded dryglove. I really haven't actually extended the schedule in these cases (2x or so) cause (duh) I'm cold and staying in the water longer is really unappetizing. Yet I see stuff on Rubicon (can't find the reference off the top of my head) that cold divers are 40% less efficient at off-gassing etc.

My one chamber ride was at least in part due to having a flooded arm.

Yessir... although, the water temps weren't as "freezing" when it happened on a deco dive.

I was diving all winter with an extremely leaky suit, but not doing deco. I found that I actually built up a slight tolerance to it... not that that's necessarily a good thing. :idk:

I was diving all winter with an extremely leaky suit, but not doing deco. I found that I actually built up a slight tolerance to it... not that that's necessarily a good thing. :idk:

something is just wrong here

How about allowable obligation? Will you scale back in cold(er) water?

(try to give some sense of warm vs cold for you, I've heard people tell me FL caves are "cold" lol)

I dont dive cold water and intend to keep it that way! How much deco is sensible in ,say, 40 degree water? Flooding a drysuit in a FL cave is annoying. Flooding it in really cold water could be life threatening (Kind of hard to carry a backup drysuit )

Having said that,I know someone that shredded his drysuit in 68 degree water with several HOURS of deco to do. Was apparently a little chilled when he finally got out !!

You've met me, right? :D
Too much poutine?

Actually I've heard they actually have poutine at the baseball stadium here now (Seattle Mariner's) I haven't been to a game lately but I'm considering it!

I dont dive cold water and intend to keep it that way! How much deco is sensible in ,say, 40 degree water? Flooding a drysuit in a FL cave is annoying. Flooding it in really cold water could be life threatening (Kind of hard to carry a backup drysuit )

Having said that,I know someone that shredded his drysuit in 68 degree water with several HOURS of deco to do. Was apparently a little chilled when he finally got out !!

In 40F not much probably 20-25mins max.
In 48F I'm willing to risk a little less than an hour.
In 52F I'm doing ~90-100min runtimes.
In 70F I think I'd do up to ~360min runtimes (I haven't done enough warm water deco to go for more)
Its 78F in Mexico but so shallow I've never really had deco anyway so I'm not sure how I'd think about that.

I'm on OC and I imagine if I was breathing warm CCR gas I might go a little longer on the cold end of the range.

Too much poutine?

Actually I've heard they actually have poutine at the baseball stadium here now (Seattle Mariner's) I haven't been to a game lately but I'm considering it!

If you do, I will need photographic evidence. :wink:

(Back to your regularly scheduled deco profile...) :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom