Cold weather diving, how to handle your hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
In the past for winter diving my partner had a easy up with propane heater. So we get out and hang up our wet hoods in the tent replace with a wool hat and good to go.

Now I dont have a car which fits a easy up so... what do you other cold water divers do between dives with your drysuit hoods?

In the past for winter diving my partner had a easy up with propane heater. So we get out and hang up our wet hoods in the tent replace with a wool hat and good to go.

Now I dont have a car which fits a easy up so... what do you other cold water divers do between dives with your drysuit hoods?
Keep an insulated cooler filled with hot water. Before the dive, splash it in the hot water before donning. With my semidry I also throw buckets of water into the suit to warm it up.

Keep an insulated cooler filled with hot water. Before the dive, splash it in the hot water before donning. With my semidry I also throw buckets of water into the suit to warm it up.

We call that Wuss Water! I encourage anything that helps you make that second shore dive. My preferred solution is a heated vest.

Roll it up and shove in my fin pocket. Once a nice person took my hood off the boat where I left it in my gear bin. (Put in the drying room) I had no hood the next day. I just don’t care and I’m too lazy to keep it warm or dry.

If it isn't below freezing i just leave it be. It isn't too nice to put on but it heats up quite fast.

You can also get these reusable chemical gel heaters that you snap and it starts to get hot.
If the chilly hood is too nasty you could start one heater pad and put it inside the hood and wrap the hood to a roll and put it in your fin pocket.

I haven't seen the hot water bucket in use yet, that seems to be good idea if the distance to the diving spot isn't too long.

If it's that cold, I'm a one-dive guy. Go dive, then sit by the fire with an adult beverage!

Thermos bottle. Hot water.

Pour some of the water into the hood before donning, do the same with the wetgloves. Use the remaining hot water to brew a cup of cocoa after the 2nd dive.

Works even better when it's below freezing topside.

Instead of buying gadgets to warm your wet hood, how about just investing in a second hood? I highly recommend it.

One of the benefits of car diving : Put your hood and gloves on the engine block until it's toasty!

Instead of buying gadgets to warm your wet hood, how about just investing in a second hood? I highly recommend it.

I second the purchase of a second hood

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom