Cold water wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDW-NC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I currently have a 3mm wetsuit (Henderson Titanium) but need something for diving colder water below 75 to 50's, but I don't want to invest in a drysuit just yet. Am I better off layering over my existing suit (which I've done but feels bulky but effective) with a tunic/core warmer, or go to a 5/7 or 7mm jumpsuit? Also, does anyone have a review of the ultra dry wetsuits? Obviously a hood, warm gloves/boots a must.

I use a Bare Velocity 7mil with 5 mil gloves and boots and a 7 mil hood. I recently dove in 58 degree water and was fine.

A shop around here has some of the old XCel 9/7/6 front entry hooded suits for a GREAT price. They look like really nice suits. I guess XCel went to a back entry now...

I wear a 7mm jumpsuit, 5mm hooded core warmer and a 2mm shorty under it all. It keeps me so warm that I'm switching to a Mobby's Twin Shell Pro, 12mm custom hood and the best drysuit undies I can afford :wink:

I have a Bare Velocity 7/6 and a 5mm hooded vest. I've had it to 50 degrees and been pretty toasty. The vest is a bit overkill for anything higher than the 50s - it takes a lot of weight to sink.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
A shop around here has some of the old XCel 9/7/6 front entry hooded suits for a GREAT price. They look like really nice suits. I guess XCel went to a back entry now...

Nope, the suit has a front zipper, so much nicer. No cold water down your back, and the integrated hood is the best.

for wetsuits i dave the bare suits. i liked it so much i got a second one :)
i dont recall the actual model of the suit tho..
its a cross chest zip with attached ho9os. and i dont beleave they make that configuration any more, but my friend has the replacement of that line and has good luck with it he said he was comfortable in 50 deg water last week..
the cross chest zip with attached hood is a optimum design for cold water diving tho...
the bare's i have. Xcell and pinnicle are suits i have seen and feel that there quality is good..
they have seals in the ancles above the zippers limmiting water excahnage. neoprene selas in the wrist as well. the cross chest zip has a flap that pulls over the head from the fromt. then pull the back over ypuir head with the hood.. this creates a water dam in a sence... when my bare suits where new i could do a 30 ish minnuet dive and still have dry spots on my swim trunks...
so
i would recomend those suits from
Bare, Pinnicle, and Xcell

o bare did it briefly... not sure about excell, and on some lines of pinnicle. they have kidney and spine pads... filling those spots wherwe you can get a little extra water in a normal suit.. they fill it will a few more mill of neoprene...
hope i was some help...
good luck
Ray

ShakaZulu:
Nope, the suit has a front zipper, so much nicer. No cold water down your back, and the integrated hood is the best.

yup
attached hood is where its at..
even my drysuit has a attached hood

the ONLY time i wish i didnt have it is when im Hat diving.....
i guess i should just get a new suit for just that....

ShakaZulu:

Yeah it looked like a great idea to me and a great suit. But that's strange. My LDS guy is trying to clear them out and he has a fantastic price on them. He said the new ones (maybe it's next year's?) have a back zipper. But you think they're sticking with the front entry?

He also mentioned that they were adding seals, but I don't know if it was wrist/ankle/both. Heck, maybe he's just wrong. In any event, he has the cheapest XCel wetsuits I have seen anywhere. I would have gotten one last weekend if I hadn't just bought a drysuit.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Yeah it looked like a great idea to me and a great suit. But that's strange. My LDS guy is trying to clear them out and he has a fantastic price on them. He said the new ones (maybe it's next year's?) have a back zipper. But you think they're sticking with the front entry?

He also mentioned that they were adding seals, but I don't know if it was wrist/ankle/both. Heck, maybe he's just wrong. In any event, he has the cheapest XCel wetsuits I have seen anywhere. I would have gotten one last weekend if I hadn't just bought a drysuit.

Maybe you can post the details to your LDS. I may get a another, love these suits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom