Cold water setup for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kris979

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I am a beginner AOW diver based in UK and trying to gear up for a local cold water dives. Would also use this gear for warm water vacation dives. Would like more experienced divers to comment on my gear choices before I take a plunge, especially Xdeep ZEN vs. i.e. ZEOS or should I go with proper DIR webbing instead of Delux with quick releases etc. Should I get xdeep weight pockets? is a tank POD worth it? I did my certs 16 yrs ago when we used paper tables and simple watch to track the time :)
1675163835800.png

Reactions: OTF
I am not sure what you're getting in the NX Zen that you wouldn't get with the Zeos, in terms of functionality. I think the Zen will keep you 'stuck' in xDeep products (weight pockets and stuff like that), whereas the Zeos is more 'standard' in terms of compatibility with products from other manufacturers.

Personally I like the simple set-up of the Zeos (or Tecline Donut, or a single tank BP/W from a number of manufacturers), and the ability to mix and match with other brands if you like. I also haven't had the need for padded 'deluxe' straps. In fact, the one-piece DIR webbing allows for great stowage of a light on the shoulder D-ring, without having to leave it dangling. Over a pitch clip, this kind of stuff is a bit awkward.

Whether or not you get the weight pockets depends on the amount of weight you will need (which in turn heavily depends on your suit and tank that you will use). In my 5mm wetsuit in fresh water, I can get away with the 3 kg steel backplate and 2 kg of additional weight in trim pockets on the tank bands. In a drysuit, that's not enough and I would need weight pockets or a P-weight or a weight belt.

Regarding Air Integration... that's an ongoing debate. What I personally like about AI is that you have all the relevant info in one place. And that your air use usually is shown in the logged dive profile as well.

Several things.
1. why do you need an stage bolt snap?
2. In my experience, XTX50 breaths much better than MTX-RC (which is made for military standards, meaning good enough and cheap enough). XTX50 would be cheaper, and just as reliable as the fancy 25-50% more expensive one.
3. Go with the Zeos. I've tried both of them, and for single tank diving, Zeos is great. But I prefer the classic ones. The Zen is quite fancy, but then again. I dive a sidemoiut, and while I was diving backmounts the DGX wing was the perfect wing for me, due the fact it does not taco.
4. Get a steel backplate, and ditch the weight pockets. Add weight directly to the plate. And unless you plan on constantly travel diving, there is no need to go for the pockets and anything else.
5. Deluxe anything adds float to your rig, which means you need aditional weights. Go for a regular DIR single strap setup, and you're good.
6. Ditch the Sunto, for the price od the Vyper, get a Peregrine. If you need air integration, then go for the perdix. I personally don't care for air inegration, but who knows. maybe it will change in the future.
7. the xDeep bolt snaps are great, especially the small one. But the double ender opent a bit to easy, so you know. It's super easy to lose especially in cold water with bulky gloves.

I used integrated Suunto Vypers and HelO2s in cold water for years.
Nothing but headaches.

Liked the Suunto computers a lot, but frustrated over signal loss while submerged, and transmitter linking issues (while the buddies patiently waited).

I always carried a basic hosed SPG as back-up, and it often saved the dive.

Eventually I looped back to using just a quality easy-to-read SPG on a slightly long hose.
Not sexy, very old-school, clunky sometimes, but reliable… kinda like me.

First recommendation is to consider how much cold water diving you intend to do or whether you will be mostly warm water vacation diver. If mostly warm water, would it be practical to rent cold water specific gear? Just a suggestion because you call out beginner and you may find out after doing X dives that yeah, I'm not so into the cold water dives, so maybe does not make sense to invest too much in cold water specific gear. The regs and dive computer are applicable to any diving while the BC could apply but you could go for a lighter warm water BC which would also be easier to carry on vacation. I don't know about the exposure suit you are considering as well which would be water temp specific. You could also consider whether you rent everything except regs and computer regardless of cold or warm water diving. I live in cold water area but after carrying 60 lbs of gear to dive, I realized it was too close to being a job and viz sucks, so I mostly warm water dive though nothing against either. :)

I think as long as you stick to good quality gear, which is just about anything sold these days, cold vs warm water doesn't matter a whole lot. Ice diving might be an exception. I might look for a 1st and 2nd specifically tested down to extreme cold temps.

A more important piece of gear might be your exposure suit. That WILL make a big difference in cold water.

A number of people have mentioned exposure protection. I do not know how cold tolerant you are. Me being a wimp when it comes to cold temperature, I advice to have good exposure protection as when you are cold, it is hard to have fun.

I used to own the XDeep Ghost for travel. I have the XDeep Zeos with a Hydros 50 wing for my doubles with a Hogarthian harness. Whether you go Hogarthian or deluxe depends on your shoulder flexibility and personal preference. For my rebreather, I dive with a Subgravity harness, everything else Hogarthian.

For cold water, a sealed diaphragm with 5 LP ports and a turret is what I'd recommend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom