Cold water setup for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Per previous responses, some of this might depend on what temperature you're diving. Ultimately not much is going to change with temp, however, with a single tank, having some ditchable weight would be good. Instead of bolting weights to plate, you might consider weight harness such as the DUI harness as you could be lugging around a fair amount of weight, especially if going with a drysuit.

If you want cheap, you can't do better than just getting a harness kit and a stainless plate/wing. You can add any type of d-rings on shoulder/hip/crotch straps as you see fit. Once this is set up, it will last a very long time.

X-Deep bolt-snaps: with dry gloves or thick wet gloves, they are worth their weight in gold. These are great for pony/deco bottles, but useful for lights, or other items.

• I'm another fan of the DST and xtx 50 over those regs.
  • I had a delux apeks harness for a while and hated it. It doesn't look it but it really does add bulk and mess compared to just a fixed harness. And when you come to start clipping things to it there's always a buckle floating in your way.
  • Agree with someone else all the other Xdeep boltsnaps are amazing and have very good uses. However, I haven't found a good use for the double ender, it's longer than other double enders which means if you use it for something that item sits very low. Also if you use it on a spool its the perfect length and shape that it loves to unclip itself even more.
  • The computer depends on what you want to do and how soon. The Novo are very readable in the UK and defo get the bungee mount if you get one. They also make amazing backup computers if you get a better computer as their gauge mode counts in seconds and is resetable, i.e. when you reach a stop you can set the counter back to zero and see a stopwatch in seconds (it's amazing how many computers don't show seconds and even more amazing how long minutes are when you can't see seconds). If you see yourself going technical soon and you want 2 computers for when you do this I would get a second hand Zoop Novo now and a shearwater when it comes to it.

Thank you, really appreciate all the replies.

BCD & Plate/weights:

So, I am going Hogarthian for sure but still haven't decided whether to go Zen or Zeos. Zen has 2 D rings on each side of its new V crotch strap. V shape apparently makes it more stable than a traditional single strap.

What I like about Zeos is that they offer 2 wings. Zen's 19kg seems a bit too much tbh but what do I
know... haven't tried either.

If I had a vacation rig I would def go for steel plate. Again still not sure becauseI will be traveling once a year and the rest of my dives will be local, and cold. I guess I could take fewer clothes and carry a steel plate :)

Like everyone, I am chasing that perfect trim..., how big of a diff does a steel plate make?

Computer:

I know Shearwater Perdix is the way to go but it is out of my price range.

My thinking process is that the computer is where I can cut costs by giving up fancy features (He, AI, color screen etc.) without giving up any safety (would like to think that all algos are equally "safe" :) )

I have been using Suunto watches for years for mountaineering, running etc., and never had any issues. I wonder if the transmitter issues everyone is talking about have been fixed with a new Suunto Tank POD?

Does anyone know if an old transmitter is i.e. radio, Bluetooth or whatver and a new is sonar or BT or something?
If it wasn't for the transmitter, and pairing issues I would go with Suunto D5 but now I am thinking of Shearwater Peregrine. The only downside is that I won't get AI :(

Regs:

This is where I want to invest. I am set on Apex MTX-RC as a deal I found there is not much of a price diff vs XTX50.

Exposure protection:
I will rent initially. When fully committed I will go with Santi (probably elite+)

Again, thank you for all the suggestions and comments! Helps a lot.

If you would go for an aluminum plate, that would make things a bit more travel-friendly (saves about 2 kg). You would have to add that weight in trim pockets, weight pockets or weight belt. But I think you would be carrying weights anyway. I don't think a steel backplate is going to be enough with cold water protection, not even with a steel tank.

About computers: have a look at the Ratio iX3M2 Pro. Has all the basics and more, and you could upgrade to full tech if you were to go that route. The Pro retails for about € 599 in mainland Europe.

Every upgrade (Pro to Deep and Deep to Tech+) is basically a software update costing € 150.
1675248653435.png

why XTX50 over MTX-RC?

Better hose routing for any configuration of tanks, especially if you get 5th port. I know you don't think you will go down that route, but later on you might want to service your own regs, easier to service.
If you got great deal for MTX, then price difference doesn't come into play.

Computer is the last place I would go to cut costs, everything else on your list can be easily found for 1/2 price and will serve just fine.

Computer is the last place I would go to cut costs, everything else on your list can be easily found for 1/2 price and will serve just fine.
what's your reasoning behind it?

Not all algorithms are the same. Mares and Suunto follow RGBM (or their versions of it) which is considered inferior to Buhlmann and GFs.
I tend to disagree with statement above. Buy cheap-ish computer that you can later use as a backup if you decide to go deeper/longer aka tech diving.
I use Mares Matrix that works great as a backup to my Perdix

Reasoning, more important tool than the rest, not saying you need to spend $2000 as you can find used computers too but it’s not a place to cut corners, a used regulator will work as well as a new one, while I don’t know the pricing on the backplate set up it’s possible that it too can be found used. A good computer will last a long time and grow with you and maintains a good resale value compared to the feast of the stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom