Cold water drysuit hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RandomGuy1

Contributor
Reaction score
What do you use, and why did you choose it? Looking for good recommendations for < 50 degree water. Thinking about the waterproof H1 5/10mm.

I have a thinner Waterproof hood, but I've just ordered a thicker one. Make sure you get one without a bib, unless you have a warm neck collar you want to tuck it into. The valve on top is great, keeps your hood from ballooning from excess air.

Have the 3/5mm, just ordered the 5/7mm.

Last edited:
Otto Bay 12mm made to measure hood (or helmet) here, a bit expansive. I think I paid $50 without bib about 5 years ago. very warm and seal well. Sometime, I can feel my head is sweating in middle of a dive. If you call them, they will tell you what to measure, and ship you the hood

I have a ScubaPro 5/3 drysuit hood that I have been using for about 2 years. It has been good. But, on recommendation from some folks here, I just got a Seasoft Ti Pro 6mm w/Zipper.

Seasoft Titanium Pro 6mm Dry Suit Hood with Zipper

I used it in the pool yesterday, just to try it out before going to the quarry this weekend.

The Seasoft is NICE! It is definitely WARM! It sealed really well. I was a little, ummm, curious(? I guess) about whether the zipper was going to be useful or a PITA. It turns out I really like having the zipper. Once zipped up, I never noticed it. But, having the zipper made it a lot easier to get the hood on and off comfortably. My SP 5/3 hood is noticeably harder to get on and off because of how tight the lower part is.

Also, the Seasoft is made with compressed neoprene for the panels that actually cover the sides, top, and back of your head. So, it should not compress like other hoods and stay warmer at depth. But, the part that goes around your jaw area is much softer and stretchier, so it's still very comfortable.

I use the hood that came with the drysuits, BARE and DUI, up here in AK in water temps down to 34 degrees. Not sure if your question regards using a hood other than the one that comes with the drysuit. 7mm with 5mm around the face works great for me.

Thanks for the responses folks. I have been using a 3mm that I picked up second hand and it works for me down to about 50 degrees, but I do get a bit chilly. Just looking for a bit more warmth.

I use the Bare 7/5 elastek. It is the most comfortable I have tried. Had some rental hoods that really squeezed my jaw and I didn't like.

Water here is 5 to 7 c about 41 to 44 f and it is plenty warm for me.

Surprised no one mentioned the K-01 (from Germany). I have about 6 hoods, including the polar (ice?) one from Waterproof. Not even close. And the K-01 is not that unpleasant to put on wet

Back
Top Bottom