Cold dive In Lanier report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joe8mofo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Dove today in Lanier at mask cove with Cliff. Water was cold for a wet dive at a brisk 42 degrees with no discernable thermocline. Max depth was 82 feet and vis was 5-10 ft at the wood pile. Vis elsewhere was 10-20 ft. Dive was 34 minutes duration and I got to try out my new Diverite Nitek duo computer.

As bad as I want to dive I can not handle those conditions because I dive wet also.

It sounds like it was a good dive for Lanier with that vis but I have to agree with Mopar on this one. That is just out right cold when diving wet.

As bad as I want to dive I can not handle those conditions because I dive wet also.

This very well is the coldest dive I have been on. The worst part was the factthat
I was trying out my "new" 6.5mm hooded vest, which happened to have the face hole too large. This resulted in my forehead being exposed to the water, which
of course resulted in a very uncomfortable next 3 minutes as I allowed my forehead to go numb. I figure i can add more material to the face portion for future cold dives.

I've been diving many times with Clif. Have you ever noticed that he never seems to get cold? I can understand if he's wearing a dry suit but I've been 130' down with him in Jocassee diving wet and he never gets cold. What a man!

He was wearing a dry suit as always in the winter-time. What temp was it at 130? I bet whatever wetsuits you guys wore were very compressed and probably didn't do much good at that depth.

42 degrees at 130 ft? That is insane!! Did it warm up as you ascended? I hope so.

Yes and it was so nice. Are you going on Clif's trip to Pompano in April? What's your name? We ought to go dive Lanier sometime.

I don't know about the Pompano trip in April, yet. This weekend we are going to Vortex.

Back
Top Bottom