Closest place for cave diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

masterlucas3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hey im in central nj, and want to get into cave diving, ive dove at blue springs in florida and the cenotes in maya rivera. I was wondering if there are any dive shops around nj that offer the courses and if there was any cave diving around here thanks alot

You'll need to goto Florida for the training more than likely... There are caves and sumps all over the US, but they are often more difficult than not to get to and you likely won't find an instructor that will teach you anywhere other than FL(US).

There's an intro to cave instructor in the fairfax, va area. I forget to shops name Been the a couple of times the name that stands out ( I'll PM you the name of the instructor

Jerome

Find an instructor in Florida and plan a trip down for your training. You want to train with someone who dives caves on a regular basis. There are sumps all over the place, but you'll want to start out with freshwater spring caves where the visibility is good.

yea thanks guys, i guess ill be in florida soon

Sump diving isn't for the faint of heart or unexperienced. It almost always involves cold water, low vis, specialized cave gear and solo diving.

What everyone else said. All of the cavers in our dive club spend their training dollars in cave country. The best instructors and dive environments are there.

Since you are in Central NJ, pop over to our club and say hello...Wreck Valley Divers Scuba Diving Club - home page

is there any sump diving around you jim?

There are sumps, river caves, mines and limestone karst (deep and short caves) around me. Most notably is a river cave with over 36000 feet of lined passage (if it had even 20 feet of vis, I would be a very rich man). The opportunities for virgin exploration far exceed my ability to dive them and the list continues to get longer. A big however... you have to be insane by Florida standards to dive any of it. Trying to do a survey and lay line in 3 inches of vis is always an experience. And of course, it is almost all only accessible via land owner relation.

If you are serious about cave diving in your local area, contact your nearest 'dry' cave grotto's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom