What dive shop to rent from?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The dog at EE is named Molly; she’s on the smaller side and is a sweetheart. She belongs to one of the staff and isn’t allowed outside in the fill area. She’ll run up and ask for cuddles if she knows you, otherwise is pretty chill - if she looks like she’s bothering anyone who doesn’t want to be bothered (or just isn’t a dog person), they usually tell her to cut it out. Big Molly fan personally!

The dog at EE is named Molly; she’s on the smaller side and is a sweetheart. She belongs to one of the staff and isn’t allowed outside in the fill area. She’ll run up and ask for cuddles if she knows you, otherwise is pretty chill - if she looks like she’s bothering anyone who doesn’t want to be bothered (or just isn’t a dog person), they usually tell her to cut it out. Big Molly fan personally!

Oh she is friendly, just gets a little excited at times being young and all. Probably smells dog odors on me.

But the staff properly supervises her to make sure she isn't an issue. We do the same with our dog in the B&B, and she is a little 13lbs Maltese.

Never had problem with dog she will bark at you but then come around to be petted never saw the owners encourage the dog to snap at someone. I know some of you guys don’t like the owners but both have treated us great and helped when ever we had a problem. If you don’t like them just don’t go there.

This is the experience I have had. Kate and Adam are definitely a change from Cathy, and the dog and gun definitely threw me off a bit my first trip back, but I have found them to be nothing but friendly, helpful and accommodating any time I've needed fills or a place to crash. I've enjoyed talking to both and felt welcomed every time I've visited.

I agree it's maybe not the best "business" model, but it seemed that by being patient with the dog and respecting their property and their new procedures, they've treated me with nothing but respect in return and I would not hesitate recommending DO to others that approach diving similarly.

This is the experience I have had. Kate and Adam are definitely a change from Cathy, and the dog and gun definitely threw me off a bit my first trip back, but I have found them to be nothing but friendly, helpful and accommodating any time I've needed fills or a place to crash. I've enjoyed talking to both and felt welcomed every time I've visited.

I agree it's maybe not the best "business" model, but it seemed that by being patient with the dog and respecting their property and their new procedures, they've treated me with nothing but respect in return and I would not hesitate recommending DO to others that approach diving similarly.
Not singling you out, just using your post for reference. The one thing I’m finding is non-local divers are the ones that seem to be ok with do. It seems that us locals who have tried do multiple times are the ones that are really seeing the issues. Not sure if that’s just because we have more opportunities to shop there or what. But the majority of the people I know who have negative feelings and those who have posted negative feelings here are all locals/semi-locals. It’s not good for business to shun the people who will use your shop most often.

But directed at the comment above: I am sure all of us who have posted problems respected the new owners and their property. It has nothing to do with how divers treat them. I went in very hopeful they’d be a great local asset. My main goals when I went in were to say hello and introduce myself and spend a little bit of money to support a small business. I (and my wife)was greeted with disdain all 3 times

I haven't been to Peacock in a while due to closure and flooding, but with a new shop opening up at Rennaker's old place, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Other than getting attacked by a German Shepard or maybe having a gun pulled on me, is there anything else I need to know about DO?

There seems to be a lot more going on. DM if you don’t want to post publicly.

Last time I was there I didn’t get bit or shot but there was kinda a weird vibe. I just assumed it was me (it usually is)
Unless things have changed, they don't have long fill whips that can reach your vehicle; you have to bring your tanks to a water basin to be filled. This sucks for backmount. To be fair, that weighed as least as heavily in our decision to get our fills elsewhere as the stupid dog.

If they now have long fill whips, please correct me!

Unless things have changed, they don't have long fill whips that can reach your vehicle; you have to bring your tanks to a water basin to be filled.

And don't even think about proactively putting your tanks in the water trough (even if they aren't filling any other tanks at that time) since you might get told to stay back and to not enter the "filling area" until they tell you to do so. Have never experienced a similar situation anywhere else in cave country...and I was going to DO quite often at the time for fills...

And don't even think about proactively putting your tanks in the water trough (even if they aren't filling any other tanks at that time) since you might get told to stay back and to not enter the "filling area" until they tell you to do so. Have never experienced a similar situation anywhere else in cave country...and I was going to DO quite often at the time for fills...
This is very accurate. Our second attempt to try them there was a guy bringing sm bottles in for fills who was reprimanded for entering the fill area. This is not something I've experienced at any other dive shop in cave country. Since I have my own home fill station I like to see other places setups. I've wandered around CCDS, EE, Amigos, and Cave Excursions (when Bill was still around) looking at their setups and nobody cares. I typically will ask, but no one could care less. I even took a look at Cathy's booster set up at DO years ago without complaints. That's not something I would even contemplate at DO now.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom