closed valve in the bail out bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Icarusflies

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello All;

I dive with a bailout bottle for any dive deeper than 30'. I sling the bottle and tuck the regulator using DiveRite retainers which works great. Now my question is: I met a person that advised me to have the valve closed during the dive but pressurized. This is to avoid a free flow and loosing gas without knowing it. What do you think?

yes, that's how i was taught to do it

the main goal is to prevent accidental loss of gas if the valve is left on throughout the dive

it only takes a turn or two of the knob to get gas flowing, so it's not a big deal (in other words, you don't have to open the valve the whole way before you can get gas)

That is how I was instructed to do it through GUE training.

I sling the bottle on my side, so would be able to detect any sort of free flow, as well as be able to easily see the SPG.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't want it "turned on" when you hit the water. If I or another diver need the gas in the bottle, I'd like to be able to get it as quickly as possible.

Presurized then off. When its "only" a back-up bottle, the main reason to avoid a undetected free flow. When tech diving, its one of the ways you know you have grabbed the right regulator.

It takes 5 seconds or less to turn it on.

My lds owner....before he sold it....about had a heart attack when he found out I was diving with valve off. He would hardly talk to me for a while.

After trying both ways.....I do now dive with the valve open and I have my reg tuned for heavy breathing and it has never free flowed. (which was why I initially dove it valve off)

Off and presurized is the standard way of doing it. If you can see the slung bottle I think it'd be OK to leave in on.

thank you guys, I ll keep my valve off then.

Icarusflies:
thank you guys, I ll keep my valve off then.
I think that's a very good decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom