Opinions on Inline Regulator Shutoff Valves for SideMount Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently acquired a pair of shut-off valves, which go between the LP-hose and 2nd stage. At first it seemed like a great idea; I could tune both regulators on the brink of free-flow, but shut off whatever I'm not using or in case of free-flow.

I'm not attached to either side of the "argument" but I am second-guessing using these. The valves cost me almost nothing, so no loss either way.
  • As everyone always points out, it's another potential failure-point, even if very small. (Not a major deal with redundant air)
  • I haven't really needed one in my 1.5 years of SideMount, although it might occasionally be nice to have.
  • It may be a slight hazard, if I try switching regulators and don't realize it's closed.
  • It's a potential hazard if a dive-buddy (I normally solo) goes for the regulator, and can't breathe from it.
Anyway, for normal recreational SideMount, would you have shut-off valves installed, if you had some spares sitting around? Specifically, just SM, and not technical-diving, deco-bottles, etc. However, I may put one on my pony-bottle-regs.
No. Sell them to some CCR divers.

Back
Top Bottom