Opinions on Inline Regulator Shutoff Valves for SideMount Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True. It does add a step and a couple extra o-rings but also keeps the regulator usable in my scenario with the freeflow during scootering. Do you have a better suggestion/ solution?
I might have been a little less snarky, if I was to say something similar to what he did.

I might have tried de-tuning the regulator first. It depends on the regulator, but usually you can detune it inside of where the regulator attaches to the hose. All of mine have a flat-head screwdriver adjustment. There's one other style that semi-common which is a hex-wrench if I remember correctly.

That said, if one does have a shut-off installed, and is practiced in using it and switching regulators, I don't see it as a big-deal aside from perhaps a buddy grabbing it. The idea that a scooter might cause frequent freeflow on some regulators makes sense to me. Having a shut-off valve is probably better than losing all your air or ditching the octo.

True. It does add a step and a couple extra o-rings but also keeps the regulator usable in my scenario with the freeflow during scootering. Do you have a better suggestion/ solution?
Scootering horizontally rather than diagonally? It’s a non issue, even at >250’ a minute. Either it’s tuned improperly or oriented incorrectly.

Detune it until the freeflow stops. If that makes WOB too high, then switch to a different second stage.

I keep hearing this, usually based on second or third hand accounts; yet, in decades of diving, I have never experienced an OPV failure, whether they were a built-in feature of my older (Poseidon) hoses; or, more recently, mounted within the latter-model first stages (which are typically rebuilt annually).

To the OP's original point, I have regularly used shut-off valves and / or manifolds for full-face masks for years, without incident; but I agree that it may just add needless complexity for his purposes . . .
The external ones are horrible. They are a tiny nylon disk held against an orifice by a spring. The nylon falls apart on a regular basis. They also sometimes fail just in storage (probably due to excess summertime heat in the car). Having a handful of them on hand is legit. I have had 3 fail over the years.

Scootering horizontally rather than diagonally? It’s a non issue, even at >250’ a minute. Either it’s tuned improperly or oriented incorrectly.
Less helpful.

Detune it until the freeflow stops. If that makes WOB too high, then switch to a different second stage.
Much more helpful. Thank you.

The external ones are horrible. They are a tiny nylon disk held against an orifice by a spring. The nylon falls apart on a regular basis. They also sometimes fail just in storage (probably due to excess summertime heat in the car). Having a handful of them on hand is legit. I have had 3 fail over the years.
The Poseidon external OPVs have been just fine, though certainly pricey -- and the current ones attached to a couple of my heavily-used Cyklon 300s, are six-plus years old -- and I have far older ones on an Xstream MK3, made well before the addition of its integral OPV . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 1.37.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 1.37.24 PM.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 3.13.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 3.13.02 PM.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 49
Didn’t you just describe a MK2?

The Poseidon external OPVs have been just fine -- and those attached to a couple of my heavily-used Cyklon 300s, are six-plus years old -- and I have even older ones on an Xstream, made well before the addition of an integral OPV . . .
the highland ones are decent, even if they are $35 ish

Didn’t you just describe a MK2?
The mk2 is the exact opposite of an OPV lol
OPV dies after 6 months in a save a dive kit, MK2 survives a nuclear war

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom