Closed ladder with fins on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never been on a boat in NJ that does NOT have a T-ladder. Gypsyblood, Lady Godiver, Tuna Seazure, Old Salty II...and many many more There is usually a RULE about coming up with your fins on. The problem for me is the last step. My knees are not what they used to be 30 yrs ago and the last step is a major effort. Especially when your're tired and cold and clawing onto a piece of rope while wearing a drysuit, 3 or 4 tanks and all the other crap that Jersey divers schlep down.

Check the ladder of the TS (Left). Pretty deep and long. And no rails to cling onto on the last step up. I guess that you could just do what you want but at your own risk. Jersey captains are notorious for public dressdowns if you don't follow their rules.

(Yes, I understand that there will now be umpteen posts from non-NJ divers telling that they would just do it their way - captain be damned - fire away).

Attachments

• seazure.jpg
    seazure.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 69
  • ladder.jpg
    ladder.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 64
All my boat dives have been in warm water destinations (Cozumel, Maui. I'll get a chance to get cooler in August when I do Channel Islands). Those were "take fins off, hand 'em up, climb up ladder" proceedures.

WHY would going up a ladder with fins EVER be a good idea?

Some ladders are designed to be climbed with fins on. In popular dive spots, with a lot of divers in the water, if everyone takes their fins off (which has to be done at the ladder) the entire reboarding process would take a very long time. Those boats are often on fast turn-around and there just isn't time for that.

Perhaps more importantly, during anything other than the calmest of seas, if you fall back into the water with fins off, you may not be able to swim back to the boat, meaning someone is going to have to get you and bring you back. That would be a safety reason to keep fins on.

In my case, I use APS Mantaray fins, they are powerful but relatively short and very flexible so I don't really worry about falling back in and getting a fin stuck.

I do agree, climbing a closed ladder with fins on sucks. In that case, I keep a carabiner on my bcd and take my fins off and clip them to myself so if I do fall back in, I can put my fins back on in the water to kick back to the boat if necessary.

Jeff

But I really didn't want a discussion of boarding with or without fins; I wanted to know if other people have encountered boats where you have to wear your fins on while boarding a closed ladder. This is the first time I had ever heard of that.

No I have never been forced to do that. I've been told to leave them on and of course I took them off. I've been told to hand them up and before they could finish I had them slipped up on my arm. The only time people argue with me is on forums so I got away with it.

Had I been on a boat that refused to allow me to board in the manner I'm most comfortable with then we'd go some place else of course :)

Nope, never exited with fins on...boat...or shore.

....not to put too fine a point on it, but I think any boat requiring one to reboard with fins on is 'major special ed' ! I've never been on a day boat or liveaboard where this was standard policy, or where it was even considered to be a good idea that the dives could do if they wanted to do that on their own. Any boat requiring me to do that is immediately on my 'blacklist' of dive ops to avoid at all costs...I just can't condone complete and utter stupidity!

I've never been on a boat in NJ that does NOT have a T-ladder. Gypsyblood, Lady Godiver, Tuna Seazure, Old Salty II...and many many more There is usually a RULE about coming up with your fins on. The problem for me is the last step. My knees are not what they used to be 30 yrs ago and the last step is a major effort. Especially when your're tired and cold and clawing onto a piece of rope while wearing a drysuit, 3 or 4 tanks and all the other crap that Jersey divers schlep down.

Check the ladder of the TS (Left). Pretty deep and long. And no rails to cling onto on the last step up. I guess that you could just do what you want but at your own risk. Jersey captains are notorious for public dressdowns if you don't follow their rules.

(Yes, I understand that there will now be umpteen posts from non-NJ divers telling that they would just do it their way - captain be damned - fire away).

...it appears it's a case of New Jersey versus the rest of the known universe...but honestly, I really don't need yet another reason to avoid NJ diving.....my shadow would never have darkened their doorway anyway.

As for Howard, it’s his boat, his rules. His people skills are not all that great

That's the understatement of the year.

The guy still thinks he's in 'Nam and everyone's life literally depends on following his orders to a "T".

The guy still thinks he's in 'Nam

heh... I noticed that about his webpage... He's got pic's of him in Nam on it.

not that I felt there is anything wrong with that..... I am very thankful for his service. just found it odd to be on his commercial diving page....

heh... I noticed that about his webpage... He's got pic's of him in Nam on it.

not that I felt there is anything wrong with that..... I am very thankful for his service. just found it odd to be on his commercial diving page....

There's something wrong when the guy acts like he's still on the front lines and everyone around him has to follow his orders...and when he illegally discharges a firearm towards the open water with other boats around, he's a clear danger to the health and well being of others. A sense of honor for serving this great country is one thing, a sense of entitlement is something entirely different.

Sorry I'm still a little ticked off

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom