Clearing My Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I'm a student taking the Open Water class. In the first time in the pool last night I could not clear my mask. It wasn't due to panic or an inability to breathe with water in my mask. I'm able to breathe from the regulator fine with no mask. It's because with the regulator in my mouth I can't seem to completely close my mouth and form a mouth seal, which then forces the air out my nose. So I keep exhaling through my mouth. In fact, I tried doing this without the regulator in my mouth and was much more successful - but I know this is frowned upon. My instructor said that I should touch my tongue to the roof of my mouth to form a seal but that didn't seem to work. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Stick your tongue into your mouthpiece if you think that will help. That seals my reg pretty nicely.

However, if you can learn to breath in with your mouth and exhale through your nose with your mouth open while watching TV, you'll be better off. I actually raise the back of my tongue (the glottis) to seal off my mouth.

Major brownie points if you post a video of you doing this. :D

Look in the mirror with your mouth open. You want the back of your tongue to shunt at the roof of your mouth. It will direct air through to your nose. The tip of your tongue can still be laying completely flat with you doing this.

The only exception would be if you have a case of ankyloglossia, or an abnormal growth of the webbing under your tongue. Usually if that's the case, at some point in your life either a teacher, doctor, or parent has recommended you to a speech therapist.

If that's the case, the condition may impeded you from doing this if it is extreme.

Was going to say exactly what's above but they beat me to it. While sitting on your couch or anywhere not in water, practice blowing air out of your nose with your mouth open. You don't need to make a seal with your mouth or close your mouth to blow out of your nose. you can either put the front of your tongue to the roof of your mouth or the back of your tongue to the roof of your mouth with the front of your tongue down flat as normal. either way practice doing it on dry land and once you get it you'll be able to do it in the water.

Was going to say exactly what's above but they beat me to it. While sitting on your couch or anywhere not in water, practice blowing air out of your nose with your mouth open. You don't need to make a seal with your mouth or close your mouth to blow out of your nose. you can either put the front of your tongue to the roof of your mouth or the back of your tongue to the roof of your mouth with the front of your tongue down flat as normal. either way practice doing it on dry land and once you get it you'll be able to do it in the water.
Agree completely. Airway control IMHO is always the answer to all the mask problems. Try to get to where you can breathe through either mouth or nose with the other one completely open--no tongue movement needed. Then breathe with both at once, then in one, out the other and switch. On dry land. It's all the same underwater except for the mental aspect. As for an regulator/mouth seal, consider a molded mouthpiece -- they're easier to keep in your mouth in a wicked current as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom