Clear or black...what do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It probably can go without saying, but take your old mask with you in case you have problems with the new mask.

Near the end of this thread but I just went to my optometrist who is also a certified diver. We were talking diving and he mentioned that next time I buy a mask, I should go for the black ones. His reasoning is that your eyes focus better with a black mask . Try covering some of the sides of your periferal vision with your hands and see if you notice slightly clearer vision. Seems to work for my eyes, but this does come at a cost of periferal vision. Just for your info.

I doubt I am losing much if any peripheral vision with this mask...even with the black skirt. Its incredible how much you see with this Atomic mask. Im amazed!! I will indeed bring my old mask and toss it in my gear bag as a spare. I have tried the mask out in my personal pool and it worked nice. I will be in the water tomorrow to try it out again with all my gear before heading on my trip.

For photography, definately black.
Better at limiting your peripheral vision and focusing your attention on your subject.
I also find black skirt are more comfortable.
Not sure if it's a different silicone or what but black feels softer.

I've only liked black skirts, but bought a Cressi Big Eyes Evo with a clear skirt. It fits extremely well and feels great. But I find the extra light coming in from the sides and top a bit annoying. Maybe I need to dive it more often (only did one dive with it.)

My old cressi Big Eyes (black with a Genesis replacement starp as the Cressi fell apart soon after I got it) is getting pretty old as I bought it when they came out. It still fits great but not as good as the Evo.

I haven't tried it at night so that suggestion someone made earlier just might be the ticket.

My wife likes clear mask skirts only (go figure!)

Love the black skirt. Only issue I have with the Atomic is it tends to leak a tad under my nose (with a freshly shaven face even). I cant seem to get that issue resolved. While its only a small amount of leakage its still a tad annoying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom