Clear Mask Skirt vs. Black Mask Skirt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"If you want to wear a clear mask, go right ahead, but the fact is that the blacked out (whatever dark colour - lighter colours are more translucent than opaque) makes it work better "

Well, there is no fact, this is subjective. So what I am saying is the fact is that I have found little or no difference in two identical masks, one clear and one black.

The black masks are DIR driven. It was all the hullaballo on DIR sites that caused me to purchase a black mask for sake of comparison. I am glad that I did because I do like it but prefer the clear. I suppose anti-reflective glass would be an improvement for both types. Currently my favorite mask is a late 50s or early 60s Healthwys 6 inch oval low volume equalizer mask with brass and chrome ring/screw and beautiful deep blue rubber. Made in France, the rubber is soft and pliable and it looks like a real dive mask too. N

Nemrod:
The black masks are DIR driven. It was all the hullaballo on DIR sites that caused me to purchase a black mask for sake of comparison.

Our "Ebon" mask is our best selling mask, and has been since 1997.
Is is a low volume, black skirted mask that has recieved "Best Buy" and "Tester's Choice" in Scuba Diving Magazines reviews.

Honestly, this is the first time I have ever heard of black masks being DIR driven.

Do others agree with this statement?

Scott

ScottZeagle:
Is is a low volume, black skirted mask that has recieved "Best Buy" and "Tester's Choice" in Scuba Diving Magazines reviews.

Honestly, this is the first time I have ever heard of black masks being DIR driven.

Scott
I have used a black mask since I started freediving and scuba in 1989. Was DIR around back then? If not could I have been responsible for the DIR craze? Are there any royalties? Actually I have been using a black mask before i could even spell DIR(sp?).

ScottZeagle:

Scott
I think Nemrod's posts my be DIR driven. :D

ScottZeagle:

Scott
I agree with you, Scott. I know at least a couple of the "higher ups" on the DIR ladder prefer clear skirts, especially for certain types of diving. The only way I can see black skirts being specifically DIR is by people misunderstanding the "look cool" and "all black" thing :crafty:

No, I don't agree.
Is this a poll ? ? ? ? :D

Actually I think the DIR school of thought would be that a mask should be of a highly visible, reflective color so that, if dislodged and lost in a dark diving environment, it would be easier to spot and recover thus reducing the amount of time required to recover it, that is, if indeed an effort would be undertaken to recover it.

Boy, that ought to get some people going !!!!

Mods, please forgive me, for I have trolled !!!! :voskl1:

ScottZeagle:
Is is a low volume, black skirted mask...Honestly, this is the first time I have ever heard of black masks being DIR driven.

because it fit my face, was inexpensive, and won't turn that nasty yellow color.

The Kraken:
Actually I think the DIR school of thought would be that a mask should be of a highly visible, reflective color so that, if dislodged and lost in a dark diving environment, it would be easier to spot and recover thus reducing the amount of time required to recover it, that is, if indeed an effort would be undertaken to recover it.
Humph!!! It's obvious you are not assimilated... if you were, you would know masks don't get efforts expended to recover them :rolleyes: Why do ya think they do all those maskless drills and skills? Huh?

OK - now hopefully Pug won't see this post and remember when I dropped my mask off the boat and went down with a nearly empty tank to find it.... which I did.... being guarded by the king of Lion's Mane jellies :11: I got it, though... without getting stung :D

Bear, those things can HURT you BAD!!!
:D
Glad you know that I was just taking my little early morning sniping practice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom