Clear Mask Skirt vs. Black Mask Skirt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My black mask has a bright chartreuse headband. Does that rate? :wink:

QuoVadis:
Well let's take a quick lesson in how you "SEE" something. Light bounces off an object, comes back at you, enters your eyes, your brain processes the info. If the light that comes back at you is blocked by a black skirt, you will not process that because it is not getting to your eyes. A clear skirt will let the light enter.

I compared masks on the net and this was one advantage that the clear skirt had....especially for photographers.

Simple really. Now are you a converted?

Not sure how you *compared* masks on the net??

While your logic makes sense in how we *see* what you fail to then grasp is that light coming into the side of a clear mask is not what the eyes are focusing on, nor can one SEE well (or really at all) through a clear skirt. It's NOT all that clear.

Light comming into the side of the clear skirt will either be ignored, or will result in a distraction taking the attention off the objects that CAN be seen within the visual area that a given mask allows.

Try this, look through a paper towell tube. Now punch a bunch of holes through the paper towell tube, and have someone shine high power flashlights into the holes on the side. As there is more light entering the tube from the sides, based on your logic everything should be MUCH clearer yes? No, the reality is that the light coming into the tube that is outside the focus at the end is REALLY distracting.

Nemrod:
All of those arguments have merit. The simple thing is now black masks are in vogue as is anything black, kinda a revolt against the neon disco days of diving. I want a bright yellow or sea blue mask, to heck with black! Frankly, I like the clear best and find all that about light entering and all to be no problem with the clear skirt masks I have. The Mares V rocks in black or clear either way it is a great mask. N
I guess the real question is blacked out/opaque or clear skirt, i think you could get away with any dark colour, even get funky coloured rims, but the skirt needs to block out that hazy light that interferes with the light you want to see from the object you are viewing. That is what half of this recent debate is about, interference.

If you want to wear a clear mask, go right ahead, but the fact is that the blacked out (whatever dark colour - lighter colours are more translucent than opaque) makes it work better if you want to focus on what you are seeing. That may indeed make it a popular choice with tech divers, photographers and others too. With a clear skirt you can get a slightly occluded peripheral vision, but hardly any actual extra chance of seeing anything, only shadows or a bit of movement - if you want that go right ahead.

I have both, i use my black for cave diving, my clear for reef diving - although i am thinking of changing that. :wink:

Does anyone know definitively whether typical modern black skirts and translucent skirts are made of the same material? Or does it depend on the manufacturer? A pair I have feel different to me, and it seems like my black skirted mask doesn’t flex and seal as well as the translucent one (same make and model). Or I could be all wet . . . and will be tomorrow, at least in the pool.

knotical:
Does anyone know definitively whether typical modern black skirts and translucent skirts are made of the same material? Or does it depend on the manufacturer? A pair I have feel different to me, and it seems like my black skirted mask doesn’t flex and seal as well as the translucent one (same make and model). Or I could be all wet . . . and will be tomorrow, at least in the pool.

I have an Aqualung Mythos (primary/black skirt) and a Genesis Panview (clear) mask.

Comparing these two masks the skirts appear to be made of VERY similar materials. Both are soft and pliant.

Can not comment on all masks, but go to a LDS, and check out the masks. The skirt material feels similar across the board.

Same here, after years of diving with a black mask I was talked into trying a clear.IT MADE ME NUTS! I almost felt confused, and my depth perseption was off. NOT for me.

Lots of advantages to the black skirt. Why just the other day I was wearing mine out and about and friends were coming up to me and asking "Gee have you lost weight?" and "Are you going to the gym?". The postman waved as he went by (he never waves). My tax refund was doubled due to the black skirt AND I've saved some money on my car insurance. Hard to dispute these facts. yea, i used to be a clear skirt kinda guy but i have been reborn. If you wish i can share my difficult times when i was a clear skirter. If it will help more people out there i would be willing to do so. Thank you.

I use both and honestly, i don't notice a difference.

One downside to a black mask is if your on the surface for a long time, like teaching a CW class, your get the dorkiest looking oval tan/burn you have ever seen. Try explaining that one away at the water cooler on a monday morning.

Turtleguy:
I really prefer clear skirt masks, black makes me feel I have total tunnel vision, and no peripheral visuals.
Aloha Turtleguy

Me too. I used clear for my first 700 dives or so, switched to black but switched back. I do like black for doing UW video though. It seems to help looking through the lens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom