Clear Mask Skirt vs. Black Mask Skirt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really prefer clear skirt masks, black makes me feel I have total tunnel vision, and no peripheral visuals.
Aloha Turtleguy

I was diving Cozumel in December with a leaky mask. I tried on at least 30 masks until I found one that fit properly. Quite frankly, I didn't care if it had a black, clear, or a polka dotted skirt. It does have a clear skirt, it doesn't leak, and I am very happy with it.

Black skirt on my tusa, However my primary is a x vision with a clear skirt. Love them both depends on the dive.

I have recently starting using both. From the start I have always dived a black skirt. The first one had a big chrome frame and a big round lens. Currently I have a nice frameless with a black skirt and this works great. I like to use a clear skirt for recreational diving though (isn't it all recreation?) just as it lets me catch light from the sides. My black skirt gives me nice focused vision when I'm hunting or photography or things such as that. The black skirt tends to give me tunnel vision also. Like almost every other piece of equipment, different needs for different functions.

ShakaZulu:
You are funny, so somehow the light that enteres the mask makes you see better????

Well let's take a quick lesson in how you "SEE" something. Light bounces off an object, comes back at you, enters your eyes, your brain processes the info. If the light that comes back at you is blocked by a black skirt, you will not process that because it is not getting to your eyes. A clear skirt will let the light enter.

I compared masks on the net and this was one advantage that the clear skirt had....especially for photographers.

Simple really. Now are you a converted?

radinator:
Light entering the mask from the side does not help you see what's in front of you.

Maybe not directly in front but you do have some peripheral vision going on and the more light that enters...the more you see.

Read my reply to ZULU.

jonnythan:
Actually, in low visibility, one of the best ways to increase your visual acuity is to do everything you can to limit how much peripheral light gets to your eyes.

Eliminating any side glare or any light that does not actually contain visual information will improve your vision at 100 feet.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. How much glare are you gonna have at 100 ft.? Unless you are using a million watt spotlight or something.... if you are down 100 ft., on a wreck in the Gulf of Mexico like me, you want ALL THE LIGHT YOU CAN to enter your mask. Do some research...you will be suprised.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom