Clear Mask Skirt vs. Black Mask Skirt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that a clear skirt allows casues very annoying reflections near the surface.

In deeper darker water a clear skirt may allow you to use more preipheral vision to see a flash of light from another diver off to the side. That's a plus if you lost your buddy perhaps but you should not be losing the buddy and the clear skirt, for the same reasons, also presents more of a problem for dark adaptation on deep dives, in wrecks and at night. Black is the way to go.

In my opinion the only "clear" advantage of a clear skirt is that they look better on underwater models. The clear skirt helps illuminate the face better in photos.

DA Aquamaster:
I agree that a clear skirt allows casues very annoying reflections near the surface.

In deeper darker water a clear skirt may allow you to use more preipheral vision to see a flash of light from another diver off to the side. That's a plus if you lost your buddy perhaps but you should not be losing the buddy and the clear skirt, for the same reasons, also presents more of a problem for dark adaptation on deep dives, in wrecks and at night. Black is the way to go.

In my opinion the only "clear" advantage of a clear skirt is that they look better on underwater models. The clear skirt helps illuminate the face better in photos.

One big advantage on the clear skirt is that more light does enter therefore you can see better. When I am down 100 ft. I want the most light possible entering my mask.

I wouldn't advise making a blanket statement that one way or other is the "only" way to go.

I have masks set up both ways. I was just talking to a an experienced diver at an LDS and he said the black skirts would give him such a problem with tunnel vision that he would actually get "sea sick", even spring diving in a perfectly calm environment. Since changing to a clear mask he hasn't had a problem.

Certain solutions will work better for different people in various settings.

There are times I like having the black border and other times I like the visibility of a clear mask. I plan on getting a Mares Pure Vision soon as my current clear masks fit is not great as the mask is quite old. I am also excited about having a lower volume mask. I will then carry this mask along with my Sea Vision with black skirt and have the option of wearing the one that best suits my needs on a particular dive.

QuoVadis:
One big advantage on the clear skirt is that more light does enter therefore you can see better. When I am down 100 ft. I want the most light possible entering my mask.

You are funny, so somehow the light that enteres the mask makes you see better????

QuoVadis:

Light entering the mask from the side does not help you see what's in front of you.

radinator:
Light entering the mask from the side does not help you see what's in front of you.
Wait a minute, so you're saying that I shouldn't be shining the flashlight IN MY FACE to be able to see in the dark! That explains the knots on my head.

so black it is.

DA Aquamaster:
In my opinion the only "clear" advantage of a clear skirt is that they look better on underwater models.
Yeah, that's why I wear one. (yuck-yuck)
I hate my mask. It's clear skirted, not low volume and has a for-goodness-sake purge. But when I have some scuba money, I always spend it on something else.
That reminds me. Hey, OE2X, where's my birthday countdown timer??(hint-hint)

Once you go black, you never go back.

QuoVadis:
Actually, in low visibility, one of the best ways to increase your visual acuity is to do everything you can to limit how much peripheral light gets to your eyes.

Eliminating any side glare or any light that does not actually contain visual information will improve your vision at 100 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom