Clear Mask Skirt vs. Black Mask Skirt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
So tonight I thought I would try my backup mask which has a clear skirt. My primary is a low volume black one.
Verdict:
I found I hated the clear skirt. I got a reflection on the inside of the mask lens. Not only that but the higher volume made me need to tip my head further back to see.

I'm sticking to my black mask and would advise everyone else not to bother with the clear skirted masks.

Black, only way to go..........

Count me in for only black skirts, too.

Had to swap in the middle of a dive with a client who had a clear skirt a while back and thought the light would blind me! Hate them.

I would have to say that the black definitely looks alot better, but it also depends on if you have a high vis mask and what you are going to be doing. I would think in something like wreck and cave diving it could be good because it would keep you focused on what is in front of you.

I personally use a clear skirted mask, but only because I like having my peripheral vision even if the sides is only partial. I guess that comes from my line of work...

Stryker:
I personally use a clear skirted mask, but only because I like having my peripheral vision even if the sides is only partial. I guess that comes from my line of work...

In that case I suggest the Hydroptix mask. You get the same peripheral vision you have without the mask. I put my arms straight out from my shoulders and can see my fingers wiggle.

I actually use the Mares X vision mask. gives AMAZING visibility up and especially down. I guess the skirt wouldnt REALLY matter. I am starting to think that since I want to get into cave/wreck diving, it might be in my best interest to get a black skirted version of the mask I use now. Any thoughts? I love the mask thats for sure....

Actually I have an X-vision as well, with a clear skirt (it was a gift). I hate the clear skirt and was seriously squinting during some pool practice I recently did. I'm about to ebay it and get the black skirt. My eyes don't like sunlight, and I hate surface swimming where I look into the water and "see" a seagull fly by because of the reflections.

The Hydroptix is my girlfriend's mask. I really want one, but am still deciding whether it's worth putting the contacts into my (perfect) eyes to make myself nearsighted so I can use it.

I just saw a nice Tusa mask this weekend. It's not as low volume, but has a nice field-of-view.

Stryker, I have both the clear and black Mares X masks. I just bought the black one. Each to their own but generally I much prefer the clear skirts. That said, the Mares X in the black is a wonderful mask and I like it alot. This mask has such good range of vision that I do not get the tunnel vision syndrome I get with most black masks. I think if you got one you would like it. This is a very small and low volume mask and both seal very nice to my face with low strap pressure. N

Hi,

Althought I would agree that the X Visons are great masks, masks are really personal equipment but here's.... my 2 cents.

1. Tusa ViewTreck M-23QB (Gotta take note that the lenses are so close to your eyes that my eybrows rub against the inside of the mask and sometimes my eyelashes come in contact too). Other than that it is a great mask for medium faces and the view angles are great!
2. Mares Pure Vision the newer model to the X Vision in a single lens.
3. X vision... of course
4. My personal favorite the Poseidon 3D.

Cheers

SangP

My first mask had a clear skirt, every one since then has had a black one. It may be a matter of personal preference, but it can also be a strong preference.

Back
Top Bottom